A sign of aging...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

A sign of aging...

Post by Steve »

From my Facebook page:
Some of us collectors focus on reels made as far in the past as possible. One indication of great age is the inclusion of two-piece metal sideplates. In most "classic" metal reels, the sideplates have internal recesses to accommodate the flanges of the spool. The recesses are usually formed by milling of the discs used for the plates. The milling requires care to ensure that the recesses are neither too deep nor too shallow. The procedure also wastes a lot of metal.

Some very old reels were made with two pieces of metal, a disc and a ring of similar diameter, that were soldered together to form a recessed plate. Several examples are shown below. Some makers may have used this method simply because their milling talents were lacking or because they didn't want to waste the expensive metal lost to milling. Nevertheless, I believe that the use of two-piece plates is an indication of great age.

If anyone can post some info on when this practice may have been superseded by milling, I would appreciate it. In the meantime, here are some examples of two-piece plates. Seams like those indicated by the arrows are often hard to see, especially on reels whose plate edges have been carefully smoothed and polished by the maker or later owner.

Two-piece construction of various reel components often is a sign of age. Two-piece reel feet were discussed recently in this forum. Some of the earliest J.F. & B.F. Meek reels had headcaps made of rims fastened to discs. These two-piece sideplates are additional examples of parts that were difficult or cheaper to make before the requisite developments in machinery or techniques enabled one-piece construction.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Re: A sign of aging...

Post by reeltackle »

Ahhh yes, two pieces, signs of great age ...they are everywhere these days.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Ahhh yes, two pieces
It's a common mistake to conflate age and dissociative identity disorder.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

I call that the layered headplate. Some of my oldest mystery reels are constructed that way. Most FVH& Son marked reels are constructed that way but only on the headplate. Knowing when they were made might be a good start. I haven't noticed if the practice carried over to EVH or JVH reels. Whenever I see a trade reel with square nuts and a layered headplate- I think FVH.

Have you ever seen this on english reels?
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

By the way, did you know the process of cutting a ring of sheet metal on a lathe is called trepanning?
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

As you know, the 2-piece end plates are a distinguishing feature on some George Snyder reels. It's a quick first check on identifying a possible Snyder reel.

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Steve wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:49 pm It's a common mistake to conflate age and dissociative identity disorder.
I have split feelings about dissociative identity disorder. Half of me believes its a real problem and the other half disagrees.
Last edited by reeltackle on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Most FVH& Son marked reels are constructed that way but only on the headplate. Knowing when they were made might be a good start.
The examples above are pretty old. Sniders are pre-1840s, and one I showed is a Crook, probably early 1840s. The other two reels are Americanish, dates unknown.

Here's an example of an FVH (pre-"&Son") with a two-piece plate, but it's different from the others we've mentioned. The "disc" layer appears to be a relatively thin sheet brass, and, to accommodate the headcap rim, it has a smaller diameter than the "ring" layer. I see nothing to indicate the tailplate is two-piece. A fairly late reel in this context, it's no earlier than 1857.
Two other features are worth mentioning: The pillar nuts have two flat sides, the same as most early Crook pillar nuts. And what is the stamped "1" above the screw hole? Could it be a size designation for this 3"-diameter reel?
the process of cutting a ring of sheet metal on a lathe is called trepanning
The word usually refers to drilling a hole. On a lathe, the work spins against a cutting tool. I wonder if those old rings weren't just punched out from sheet brass.
Have you ever seen this on english reels?
Not yet, but I'd better look more closely.
Half of me believes its a real problem and the other half disagrees.
Please make up your minds.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels