TED WILLIAMS spinning reel 510 / 410 ... 310?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

TED WILLIAMS spinning reel 510 / 410 ... 310?

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

In this post I want to ask a question to other fans of reels sold by the company Ted Williams - SEARS (made in Italy).
I have two models TW 510 and 410, version with medal, I would like to know if the smaller version 310 was also produced.
I have been looking for this little model for many years that I have never been lucky enough to find.
I add two photos to better explain my question.
In 20 years of collecting I have collected and documented 19 different models which include the group: 310/320 - 410/420 - 510/520.
The models in detail:
- 4 models for the 310
- 7 models for the 410
- 5 models for the 510
- 1 model for the 320
- 1 model for the 420
- 1 model for the 520
I hope someone can help me to clarify my doubt.
regards
Sergio Di Marco
Last edited by ANTIPES Italy reel on Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Ted williams spinning reel 510 / 410 ... 310?

Post by Low Profile »

I have both the TW badged, Italian made, 310 in a dark red color with model name cast into the side cover and the higher gear ratio 320 in a brownish red color with a circular glued-on badge. They are very nice reels.
Tx, Low Profile
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Unfortunately I have difficulty loading the images .. I try to insert again!
To be precise, the TW 310 model I am referring to is the one that should have the name engraved on a black medal glued inside a ring in relief on the side cover.
Of this type of model I own both the 510 and the 410 but I have never seen and found the 310!
Perhaps explained in this way, my question is better understood.
thanks for the help anyway
Sergio
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Pictures related to the post
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Pictures related to the post
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Sergio,

I know this isn't hard evidence but the 1969 spring sears catalog does show that they offered the 410 and 310 models. The 410 is pictured with the circular badge as in your photos but the description of the 310 says "Not pictured". I've never seen a 310 in over 30 yrs of collecting with the circular badge but it seems reasonable that it could exist. I'm thinking maybe a 1 year run so may be quite rare.

Tx, Low Profile
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Thanks for the indication, your consideration is very probable, at this point it is necessary to investigate better by looking also in other catalogs.
Unlike the ORVIS Catalogs, which I managed to collect all of them, at least those ranging from 1950 to 1983; this is the reference period in which the spinning reels produced first by ZANGI and then by CopTes in Turin are published in the price list.
Thanks to the many ORvis catalogs, I was able to document the chronology of the models produced and to solve even small anecdotes and curiosities that I had doubts about for many years.
Regarding the Ted Williams models, I have very few catalogs and for this reason I have little information regarding the production history.
Unfortunately, the problem is even more complicated because special models have been created for the US market that are not reflected in production for the Italian and European market.
Perhaps for the moment I have to settle for the Ted Williams models (produced in Italy) that I have managed to collect up to now.
To find more models I only have clues as well as for the dark brown painted "ghost" 310 with engraved medal !
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I have been researching Ted Williams Inc. of Miami, Florida for a number of years. Fortunately, I was able to interview one of the founders of Southern Tackle, which Ted was a part of and which worked with TWI in Miami on exporting/distributing TWI reels before the sale to Sears (which is an incredible story BTW). Some of that information found its way into a chapter on TWI fiberglass fly rods in my book Fourteen Sticks of Glass.

Although I am primarily interested in the pre-Sears Ted Williams badged reels I have located a source with a complete run of Sears catalogs and after the virus has abated was planning on taking the scanner and making a trip. If you DM me we can dialogue and I can better know how to help you out.

-- Dr. Todd
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Todd
as indicated I sent you a message in DM ...

In the table that I have published, I have listed the models, the model codes, the colors and the words on the casings.
In this way I hope to have helped other friends with more detailed information on this particular family of TW models.

In this list I have reported the model (Modelllo), the reference code (Codice), the color and type of writing on the side cover (Colore / Carter laterale), if available the use and maintenance manual (Doc), the multiplication ratio (Rapporto), the weight in grams (Peso) and finally the type of handle (Note) if cross-section or oval.

Amaranto /con codice
amaranth / with code (embossed on the side cover)

Amaranto / senza codice
amaranth / no code (the code is printed on the side of the body and not on the cover)

Marrone / senza codice
brown / no code (the code is printed on the side of the body and not on the cover)

Marrone / con medaglia
brown / with medal (the medal with the engraved name is glued in a raised circle on the side cover).

Importantly, for all the models listed, the version with handle on the right has never been available unlike the Ted Williams as in the previous series produced 300-301 / 400- 401 / 500-501 and also 350-351 / 450-451 / 550 -551.

These two photos are of my additional Ted Williams models that I did a few months back.

The second photo is missing a rare model 451 (with handle on the right) which I recovered more recently.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks for this.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Great reference. Thanks Sergio. Lots of work and research in that.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle