mystery

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

mystery

Post by m3040c »

I saw these photos on Facebook. Did not see who posted them, but the reel intrigued me. I have no idea what it is and was wondering if the answer is a simple one or is this reel obscure?

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: mystery

Post by wrong99 »

No idea what it is, either, but I can tell you the side plates will never become loose.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

No idea what it is, either, but I can tell you the side plates will never become loose.
:D :D :D
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

This is really an interesting beast! Its designed as a levelwind, which is not easy if it is a one-off reel. Of more interest is that its apparently made to fish below the rod with that levelwind (note position of seat) and is a multiplier! Would love to have it to unzip and examine.

And i can’t figure what those two circles of screws on the back plate are holding ??!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Would they be holding the gears to run the level wind?
Bruce Harlan
Bruce Harlan
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

I like it. Intriguing!
Robert Janssen
Sweden
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

its apparently made to fish below the rod with that levelwind
Agree. The level-wind cover (worm shield) would not keep the snow out, otherwise. Seems odd, though, that those swiveling harness lugs are at the sides of the foot. Would they function properly there?

That housing in the middle of the headplate has a tiny peripheral extension, so I wonder if it rotates some kind of drag doohickey. Would love to see if it has a magnetic brake.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

I would venture to say the reel is Australian. Number one , they liked "under the rod" reels. Number two, they seemed to favor a level wind big game reel. I have two large Australian big game reels that have level winds. The only other example of level wind this size I have seen was a Hardy prototype reel that is also in my collection. Could not have been very practical, hooking into a 500lb Marlin going straight away. I can't imagine seeing that worm gear tearing back and forth across the face of the reel. As far as the lugs under the reel, a shoulder harness would hook up to them , no problem.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

I agree with Jay.... Australian 99%. Through the years I've only had 3 big game reels (10-16-0) with levelwinds and all originated in Australia... Sometimes wish I still had them! Tight Lines Nick n NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I have made contact with the owner, hopefully there will be more to come concerning this reel.
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Good Lord. Those screws on the tail plate are something else.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

So...what is it. Looks Pflueger-esque. 50+ screws kind of leans toward prototype/one off and what is the plate material? Looks similar to vintage circuit board stock or some other "early" laminate. Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere else.