BERMUDA 100 ... a real ghost to investigate!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

BERMUDA 100 ... a real ghost to investigate!

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

After a few years, I want to raise again a question related to the dating and history of the company that required the production of this rare spinning reel mirror copy of the Pelican 100A and also of the better known Orvis 100A.

In addition to knowing for sure that this model was produced by ZANGI of Turin for the North American market, hypothetically in the early 1960s, I have no other information about it.
I sincerely hope to receive some clues to investigate further and to better clarify his story.
This my Bermuda 100 is the only model found to date!

Regards
Sergio Di Marco
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Re: BERMUDA 100 ... a real ghost to investigate!

Post by Low Profile »

Sergio,
Your knowledge of Italian made spinning reels is impressive. My guess is that reel was marketed to an American market possibly as an early reel targeted for bonefishing. I recall seeing literature discussing the Orvis 75A for that purpose as well. I simply am amazed by the extent of badging variations and have no clue other than further research of old advertisements or catalogs.

If I may request, I'd like to ask if you have any information about an apparently short lived run of Cortland badged Italian spinning reels. I've never seen one in person and it's been about 10 years since I've seen one of these for sale on the internet and would just to have a short history. They looked so unique and well made.

Tx, Low Profile
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Low Profile wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:08 pm
If I may request, I'd like to ask if you have any information about an apparently short lived run of Cortland badged Italian spinning reels. I've never seen one in person and it's been about 10 years since I've seen one of these for sale on the internet and would just to have a short history. They looked so unique and well made.

Tx, Low Profile
After Leon Chandler passed in 2004 his son, Jeff, dispersed his estate and reel collection. Most of the reels & tackle were offered on eBay. During that dispersal there were a couple of Cortland spinning reels that sold. I was focusing on ABU & Zebco Cardinals at the time and passed on the Cortlands :bash: , and some others. I did, though, end up with the Zebco Cardinal 6 that was said to be one of, if not, his favorite freshwater spinning reel and an LOA from Jeff.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

My desire is to try to document and finally define the chronology of the production of Italian reels marketed under various brands for the Mord American market.
Starting from the early 1950s, several Italian companies, such as ZANGI, ALCEDO, CARGEM, NETTUNO, OFMER, found a large market thanks to the demand that came from companies in the USA.
For this reason models have been produced and marketed exclusively for this market.
Among the various Italian brands, ZANGI was the most important company for the number of models produced; it was able to transform itself over time by improving materials and design and for this reason it has produced spinning reels for various North American and European brands.
This is the current list of companies that have requested ZANGI to produce under their brand, I hypothesize that there may be other minor brands still to be cataloged, such as the company that requested the "Bermuda 100":

- ABU
- ORVIS
- TED VILLIAMS
- SEARS
- PESCADOR
- HERTER'S
- OLD PAL
- HOLLIDAY
- TRUE TEMPER
- WEBLEY

Over time I have met fans of old Italian models almost everywhere in Europe and only more recently have I realized that there are many also in the USA.

Regarding the models produced for Cortland, I will publish a specific post because they are very particular models made by Alcedo, the most well-known brand abroad.
For the moment I can anticipate that the rare spinning models made for Cortland have also continued in the subsequent production made by CopTes which in 1975 acquired the ALCEDO brand and, in 1972, the ZANGI brand (competing brands that were both based in the city of Turin). On the body of the reel that was produced for Cortland, a mechanically improved reel for the European market was subsequently born, called MARINER (I add two images even if not of good quality).
Thanks for your interest in these old Italian models.

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Ciao, and thanks for sharing these nice photos, and the history you put together.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Yes, thanks. Great thread!

I lived in Ithaca, NY, very close to Cortland, for quite a few years. And I used to tie flies some Sunday nights with Leon Chandler and a small cadre of tiers in an old Ivy-clad building on the Cornell campus. Don't remember ever talking spin gear though. Kinda wished we had!
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Very interesting, Sergio. I've fished with a couple of those reels over the years, mostly with an Orvis 100A. I think many of us are learning a lot as you post about these reels. Keep it up!
Richard
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Richard,
I will try to publish several other posts on old Italian fishing reels, starting with the brand I care about most, the ZANGI!
I apologize in advance to all friends for my imperfect English language.
Sergio
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Sergio, your English is much better than my Italian. My wife and I still laugh at the time we were lost in Rome. We tried several times to communicate our position to friendly Italians, but it took about 20 people until we were finally able to find our way out of a corner. Keep up the research and publications, Caio.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Matt,
I really appreciate your encouragement message ..
I will try to do my best ...
Thanks again
Sergio