Shakespeare No. 1960

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reel Fossil
Big ORCA Fan

Shakespeare No. 1960

Post by Reel Fossil »

Hello,

I just acquired a Shakespeare Criterion No. 1960, and would like to know how old it is. It does not have a model number or model code anywhere on the reel (not on sides or seat). It has the red "jewel" on the spool tension cap. The knobs on the handle are ivory. Anyone know the approximate age range of these that have no model code?

Thanks very much.
Carl Corey
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare No. 1960

Post by Carl Corey »

You asked-

~1925. The Criterion Level Winding reel (Style) 1960 “No date code” model was the third model of at least 22 models of the Criterion line. In actuality, it should be the “no year stamp”, as Shakespeare was using year stamps and not code stamps at that time. The Criterion 1960 was introduced as the 1922 Model, and for the first two model years had a “stamped” foot, different than any Shakespeare-branded level wind reel. The 1924 Model stamped foot was unique to that model and had a different screw placement than used on other models. At about the same time, Shakespeare was producing reels for South Bend Bait Co., and the South Bend “Oreno Level Winding Anti-Back-Lash casting reel No. 1000” (SB 1000) was introduced. The earliest version of the SB 1000 had the same stamped foot as the 1924 Model Criterion.

Soon, however, the SB 1000 started sporting the “regular” foot, which is the style of foot (reel seat riveted on two cross pillars) seen on most Shakespeare-branded and other Shakespeare-produced reels except the two earliest Criterion models. The “Made in USA” over “Patented” stamping on the bottom of the foot (with no year stamp) was commonly used on Shakespeare reels once date year and codes were moved to the head or tail plates in the early 1930’s, but were used on reels produced for South Bend since ~1925. For some reason, probably since at the time the Criterion was the most economical level wind of the Shakespeare line, the same foot was used on the Criterion “no year stamp” as used on South Bend level winds.

The last piece of evidence that the “no year stamp” was produced ~1925 is that until the Model 26, Shakespeare used machine screws with the “angled” sides as shown in your pic. Starting with the Model 26, Shakespeare went to the “pan head” screws we are used to seeing on all later Shakespeare-produced reels. Also starting with the Model 26, Shakespeare started producing other styles of level wind reels and numerous trade reels, so the mass production of the “Model 26” over “Made in U.S.A.” over “Patented” feet got used on the Criterion as well. The “no year stamp” model Criterions are not overly rare, but do exist in less numbers than the Model 26, for example.

The uniqueness of the “no year stamp” Criterion lies in the fact that the vast majority of Shakespeare-branded reels religiously have a year stamp or a date code on the reel, part of the appeal of collecting the various models of any one style. In fact, I can recollect only one other model of Shakespeare-branded reel without one. And guess what - it's a Criterion too.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Hopefully, Carl, that will be explained in such detail in the Criterion book you need to write.
Mark
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I had asked the question about why no books about Shakespeare Reels like all of the other books and was always told not enough interest.!! When attending college in 1964 in Mi., I went to a Shakespeare outlet stor in Kalamazoo. One of the neatest stores I had ever been in. Bought my first Shakespeare Spin Cast Reel at outlet store price. Long gone when Shakespeare left Kalamazoo! ( I didn't meet a girl in Kalamazoo as the song says)
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Carl Corey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Carl Corey »

You know, Mark, that is part of my dilemma. I do have the Criterion "book", but it sits as a book, and I'm not sure what to do with it as it is so large to deal with. I set it to the side and started on something "shorter" with the Superior and the Kalamazoo, and then the Kalamazoo-Superior and the Superior-Kalamazoo... Time seems to be fleeting, even over the last year with COVID, where isolating at home would seemingly give you more time for reel research and writing. It hasn't worked out that way, but the intent is still there. As you know, we learn new things about the reels we collect all the time, at least until the next reel throws that into question.
Carl Corey
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Carl Corey »

Jonathan, I think the interest is there in Shakespeare reels. It is the challenge of so many different styles, models and types through the years that makes it so difficult to come up with a book that is comprehensive. Even looking at Shakespeare reels prior to World War II (probably an arbitrary time, but it is a true break), the task is daunting. And then you have all the trade reels that we may never have a full handle on. But, maybe it could be split out in manageable chunks to at least get a start. It would also be interesting to use some of the "new" technology to have a shared document to add information and data from the many collectors into it. This, of course, is beyond my technical skills.