The birth of ZANGI ...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

The birth of ZANGI ...

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

Zangi, the Italian brand that has produced the largest number of spinnign reels for the US market!
In this post I summarize my article published in October 2020 on the website of the ANTIPES Association.

Every passionate collector is forever linked to their memorabilia and in some way also to the history that concerns them ...
… Out of passion and curiosity I wanted to investigate to reconstruct and at the same time document the birth of this emblazoned brand which was based in Turin.

Until last year, the only certainty they knew of this brand was related to the first reel produced: the "Pelican 100" / starting from 1947 (as also exhibited in a very first ZANGI catalog in my possession - following photo).

Probably, for this reason it had long been believed that this famous company was born after WW-II.
After investigating for some time I was able to document that the real history of this brand was slightly more complex.
Thanks to what is stated in the copies of the official documents received by the Turin Chamber of Commerce, I was able to ascertain that the birth of the company is prior: the first official act is dated March 21, 1942.

On this date a private deed was drawn up, registered on March 26, 1942 at the "Provincial Council of Corporations" (current Chamber of Commerce), relating to the sale of the company (mechanical workshop) owned by engineer Osvaldo Massimini (son of Giovanni) to Veglio Zangirolami (son of Angelo) born on February 15, 1912 in Turin.
The company's headquarters will remain the same: in via Rosmini 9 in Turin.

Only three days later, on 24/03/1942, the registration of the company (Individual Company Report n.168576) as "Electromechanical Zangi - di Zangirolami Veglio" was also presented at the "Provincial Council of Corporations" of Turin.
This is the description of the type of activity:
"Electromechanical and light precision mechanical workshop for the processing and assembly of detached parts for aviation and marine equipment and engines".
An average number of 15 (male) workers is declared!

Being in full fascist regime, like any official documentation, this registration was also investigated by the district political officer (Podestà) with the affixing of his stamp and signature for approval.
It should also be noted that in the same document it is declared and ascertained that the complainant is of "Italian-Aryan" nationality!
Based on what has been discovered, I think it is quite clear that Veglio Zangirolami's intention was to be able to take advantage of the opportunity given by the war industry.
With the end of WW-II he thought of revolutionizing his initial idea on other productive sectors starting from 1946/1947; luckily for the many fans who love his fishing reels !

In 1955, March 17, the presentation to the Turin Chamber of Commerce of the change of the company name from "Electromechanical ZANGI" to "Mechanics ZANGI", both words are followed by the name of the owner, Veglio Zangirolami.
The correct activity of the company is also specified in the same document:
"Mechanical processing in general and manufacture of fishing reels"

In 1956, November 14, a change was recorded in the company's address, which moved to Via Challant 36, and also in the description of the definitive exercise in:
"Precision machining in general, own manufacturing of reels for fishing and spearguns for underwater hunting".

The last act registered at the Tornino Chamber of Commerce by Veglio Zangirolami, concerns the "Report of Cessation" of the activity, and is dated March 16, 1973.

What happened later I hope is now known, after about 30 years of activity ZANGI was sold to CopTes, a new company that was just born and owned by two partners, Giovanni Coppola and Silvio Tessa, who will continue its production for about a decade….
... but this is another important story!

To what was previously reported, I want to add a preview of a confidence that was revealed to me directly by my friend Giovanni Coppola (83 years old), the last owner of the ZANGI and ALCEDO brands:
Veglio Zangirolami was advised by his father Angelo who was the true mind of the company (which had allowed the real success of the brand).
For this reason, after Angelo's death, Veglio found himself in the position of having to sell the business due to his difficulties in managing everything!

I hope that what is reported is understandable and of good interest to many collector friends.
Sergio Di Marco
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: The birth of ZANGI ...

Post by RonG »

Hey Sergio,
This is a very interesting article about the history of Zangi reels. Could post some photos of the earliest models?
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Ron,
here is the first produced model of the Pelican 100,
it differs from all other versions mainly by being painted in light gray (rough paint).

An important detail,
this particular Pelican 100 model was also the first to be sold by ORVIS starting with catalog n.94 of 1950, only a few years later the name will be changed to "ORVIS 100"!
In a future post I will publish what has been documented on the consolidated Zangi vs Orvis collaboration that lasted over 30 years!

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

WOW! Great discovery work, Sergio! That newly uncovered information puts a whole new light on the Zangi/Coptes chronicles!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Tom
thanks for your appreciation..

These additional images show the first Pelican 100 made and the further models of the initial Zangi production:
- Pelican 100
- Delfino
- Jolly
- 3V

Reelmick
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Reelmick »

We have these downunder too
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

ANTIPES Italy reel wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:03 pm
An important detail,
this particular Pelican 100 model was also the first to be sold by ORVIS starting with catalog n.94 of 1950, only a few years later the name will be changed to "ORVIS 100"!
In a future post I will publish what has been documented on the consolidated Zangi vs Orvis collaboration that lasted over 30 years!

Has anyone ever seen one of these silver gray Pelican 100s in an Orvis box, or was that color example just used in the Orvis catalog?

I have seen many, and actually have one, of the darker matte gray Pelican 100 reels but have never seen an Orvis boxed silver gray example.
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Sergio, I'm sure Richard Lodge, editor of the Reel News, would love to print the information that you provided here in a future issue for more collectors to learn about Zangi history.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Fantastic! Fascinating story. Love the ads showing the internals.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I love the flying pelican on the reels. It reminds me of seeing them every time you go salt water fishing.
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Brian F. wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:16 am Sergio, I'm sure Richard Lodge, editor of the Reel News, would love to print the information that you provided here in a future issue for more collectors to learn about Zangi history.
Brian,
only twice have my posts appeared on "The reel News".
I would be honored if this happens again, if necessary I can provide further images of the documentation.
As possible, I will publish other posts relating to the most well-known Italian brands but also of very rare small productions.
Regards
Sergio