A precious collaboration, CORTLAND and ALCEDO ...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

A precious collaboration, CORTLAND and ALCEDO ...

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

As explained by my dear friend Silvano Baraldi in his first volume " Guide to Collecting Ancient Fishing Equipment - Reels Alcedo" (visible on ANTIPES Associations website), in 1967 Alcedo's only collaboration with an external company began; this is the famous American company that produces fly fishing reels: CORTLAND .

This small reel, aesthetically different from any other ALCEDO model, appears in the 1967 CORTLAND price list and it is the only spinning model present among the many fly fishing reels.

An oval label with the writing CORTLAND is applied on the side cover, no ALCEDO reference is present on the body except the writing in relief at the base of the foot: "Made in Italy".
According to what was reported by the great Ben Wright, about 500 pieces have been made of this reel, for this reason it is considered quite rare to find.

The reel has the same technical characteristics and the same internal mechanics as the better known Alcedo Micron, of which it also retains the same size. Unlike the Micron, the Cortland was available in both 1.5-inch and 2-inch “rotating cases”.
The reel is made of aluminum through a pressed casting and then has been subjected to a light brown anodizing process with various shades.

These further three pictures of the 1.5 and 2 inch version were kindly sent to me by my collector friend Renzo Di Paolo.

I must add that more recently some almost complete models have been found (without side casing), stock residue, but anodized in green!
At the moment, we have no certainty that this further version was actually put on the market!

Only recently, as told to me in person by my friend Giovanni Coppola (83 years old), owner of COPTES and who in 1975 bought the ALCEDO brand, the MARINER ALCEDO was born directly from his idea: it is a particular reel that is the direct descendant of the model that was produced for Cortland.

Compared to the previous reel, the new MARINER had in addition a particular "satellite gear" that allows a better slow and differentiated winding of the nylon in the recovery phase, for the same reason it promised smoother and longer casts.
Like most of the COPTES production, the MARINER was also painted in green and cream ... perhaps to compete with the famous ABU Cardinal produced in Sweden?
To my question about the choice of the colors of his reels, my friend Giovanni has never answered directly and has always preferred to deviate on other details!

In a future post I will tell a curious story, already partly reported by his friend Silvano Baraldi in his book, of when the manager of a very important American industry, found himself in Italy for work reasons, wanted to meet Giovanni in the factory that produced his favorite spinning reel, the ORVIS 100S ....

regards
Sergio Di Marco
Last edited by ANTIPES Italy reel on Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Re: A precious collaboration, CORTLAND and ALCEDO ...

Post by arley »

Good read, more please.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

Very interesting. I've never seen that Cortland/Alcedo spinning reel.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wonderful. Beautiful reels.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thank you for the detailed history, Sergio! It is very interesting.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Sergio,

Thank you and keep the info rolling in. Cortland reel looks like everything I envisioned it to be.

Tx, Low Profile
Chinook1
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chinook1 »

Sergio-

Once again...a masterpiece when it comes to spinning reels. I hear Ben applauding your efforts on every post. Please continue the lesson.
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

Chinook1 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:44 pm Sergio-

Once again...a masterpiece when it comes to spinning reels. I hear Ben applauding your efforts on every post. Please continue the lesson.
Thanks for the encouragement .... everyone needs it!

I will try to do my best and also to involve some other great collector friends ..
I often think of Ben, maybe because in my collection there are some of his rare spinning reels that he gave to me and that I keep as relics,
I also confess that every now and then I go to reread some of the many emails that we have written over time.

Here is a rare ZANGI 2000 "gold color" (foreign version), one of the several reels that were given to me by Ben and that I really care about.
This is precisely the reel whose photo is published on the last cover page of his famous book:
"Wright's Spinning Reel Reference & Value Guide - 2011".