Vom Hofe Model 501 6/0

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
clacker39
Frequent Board Poster

Vom Hofe Model 501 6/0

Post by clacker39 »

Hi Members
I recently acquired a model Vom Hofe 501 down here in Australia.
I would appreciate if some members may be able to assist me in putting a date of manufacture on this reel?
I believe that the clasp retaining nut and star wheel are not original when checked against details in Ted Bingham's book.
These two pieces may have been added by an owner here.
I would like to know if this could be a pre 1911 model that did not presumably have a star wheel?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards Clacker39 [Bob]
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Vom Hofe Model 501 6/0

Post by john elder »

Bob, I assume there is no letter/number on the side of the foot? If that is true, then likely your reel is from around 1905 and has been modified to add an external adjustable drag. Not clear where the star wheel has come from, but it isn't VH. does the reel have anti-reverse without using the pop-out AR on the face plate?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
clacker39
Frequent Board Poster

Post by clacker39 »

Hi John
Thank you for your reply to my enquiry and apologies for the late reply,I have been away.
There is a number on the side of the reel foot which I had not seen before,it is C332
Does this denote the year of manufacture or provide any other info?
I look forward to your reply.

Regards Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, by the code they used, it was the 332 reel made in 1910; 1911 was D, 1912, E, etc.

If you can, pick up a copy of Ted Bingham’s book on EVH. The table is in there plus assorted worthwhile nuggets.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
clacker39
Frequent Board Poster

Post by clacker39 »

Hi John
Thank you for your response.
I do have a copy of Ted Bingham's book,however did not see the number on the side of the reel foot
I do agree with your finding.
I was wondering if any member might have an original clasp retaining screw that that could sell me to bring the reel back to original.
I am going to remove the star wheel as I believe that it was added after.

Regards Bob
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The nuts are hard to find as they frequently were lost. I have reproduced a few, so that is an option if you don't get lucky down there.

As to your drag wheel, you should break the reel down and see what's up with the drag and whether the "new" adds supply an anti-reverse. In the front section of Ted's book, he outlines some adds and mods that VH added along the way, including the external adjustable drag that required a "key" to adjust. The star drag you have, unless it's just for looks, may be a way to avoid need of the key and might be more interesting if left as is. 501's, especially in 6/0 size, are not that hard to find, so you can likely get a non-modified version if you wish.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

clacker39
Frequent Board Poster

Post by clacker39 »

Hi John
Thank you again for your assistance.
I will dismantle the reel and see what I can learn from it,Ted Binghams book should be a good guide.
Regards Bob