What is this add-on thingy?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

What is this add-on thingy?

Post by Jim Madden »

I'm not even sure I have it positioned correctly on this Quad #2, 80 yard Standard. The thumbscrews appear to be designed for a sideplate rather than a pillar, but there's no way to adjust the spring from the side to align with the spool correctly. I can't imagine that cone shaped spring oscillating in a uniform manner to form a level wind. Can anyone shed some light so I don't have to spool it up? Steve Vernon, where are you?
http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif? ... page/addon
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Sitting here, staring at the monitor, trying to make sense of aol-generated gibberish. :bash:

Can you email a photo?
Haregar

????

Post by Haregar »

Jim,
I played with one of these Years ago at a show somewhere and I think you use your thumb to move the spring side to side to guide the line onto the spool. But, Then again, What do I know!
"H"
orourke
Super Board Poster

what about the reel

Post by orourke »

Is that a fine Bronson Reel you have that contraption on?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Finally able to see your pic by using IE instead of Netscape. :idea: (The Net is a horizontal Tower of Babel.)

That conical spring may be a tension device, adding a little resistance to the line when a fish hits it. You could probably adjust the tension by clamping it higher or lower.

Cute gizmo!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Or, depending on how stiff that spring is, it might be an anti-backlash gizmo. Again, tension would be adjusted by raising or lowering the guide.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Add-on

Post by Jim Madden »

Thanks, Harvey and Steve. Both are good ideas. I can see I'm going to have to spool up the reel to be sure. I'll create some backlashes, too, to see if it is preventative in any way - (yea, like I have to try hard to create backlashes). If anyone ever finds the name of this puppy, please let me know. Harvey, it's good to see you have arrived at your destination in the Hoosier state. See you at the Day After Turkey Day Show. Jim