Point-Ace spinning reel (made in Japan)

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
unechan
Big ORCA Fan

Point-Ace spinning reel (made in Japan)

Post by unechan »

Dear colleagues,

I have added this Point-Ace spinning reel to my collection a few years ago, and still struggling to find detailed information including distribution, manufacturer and its brothers/sisters. Ive first noticed the existence the Point-Ace reels through a photo from my italian FB friend showing a nice lot of vintage reels for sale, including the (obviously smaller) 100 and 200 models. Since then I’ve been sticking my nose into eBay listings, where my Point-Ace 300 came from.

My 300 model is medium-light size; rotor diameter 63mm / spool diameter 51.5mm / weight approx. 320g. The coloring is obviously a sort of copy of ABU cardinal but with more silverish rotor head. No ball bearings, with low retrieve rate. “JAPAN” on foot.

Although I reckon they were distributed in Europe in the 70s, I couldn’t find any further information on the ReelTalk post archives, and I acknowledge if there’s any information that our experts here in the forum may share to further understand this pretty looking reel.

Thank you very much in advance from unechan @ Osaka, Japan.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Point-Ace spinning reel (made in Japan)

Post by wrong99 »

According to Wright's book, the Point-Ace 300 was the middle size model between the 200 and 400. Made in the 1960's. Point made 28 known models over the years.
unechan
Big ORCA Fan

Post by unechan »

wrong99 > thanks for the information, this helps me a lot. Any further history such as the original manufacturer and distribution routes is appreciated! Indeed, I am looking for a 200 (or 100 if it really exist) to add to my ultralight - light collection and to use in the field. Thanks again.

unechan @ Osaka, Japan
tornasol
Big ORCA Fan

Post by tornasol »

I have the 200 version of this Point Ace, which also has "JAPAN" on the foot. Last I heard is they were exported from Japan in the late 60s. I still use it and works fantastically, yet I believe they do not do well in some climates where they could have been popularized (i.e. UK and the US). I am in Uruguay by the way.

arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

I could be wrong (and frequently am) but it sure resembles a Bronson open face reel . I forget what it was called.perhaps they made reels for Bronson as Bronson bought from other companies and rebranded them.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.