Alcedo Micron - 1st version

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Alcedo Micron - 1st version

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

In this post I want to write about the first Alcedo Micron that was produced;
the progenitor of the small Alcedo spinning reels very well known and appreciated also by fishermen abroad.

Following the excellent results obtained with other larger models, in 1950 Alcedo decided to create a smaller scale model which was called "ALCEDO MICRON".
Success was immediate.
In the United States, an intelligent advertising campaign was carried out thanks to the sole importer of New York and, despite the high price ($ 60), the sales were very successful.
American tourists who traveled to Italy (passionate about fishing), returned home with the Micron purchased in Rome, Venice or some other city, along with some other classic souvenirs.

Not surprisingly, the ALCEDO MICRON is the model of the Turin company that has sold the most in the world!
"The little one admired by the Greats", as showed in an advertising photo of the time that portrays President EISENHOWER who is very satisfied with the reel he holds in his hand: a Micron!

This very first Micron can be recognized by several details but mainly by being painted in black with rough paint!

Here are some other features of this first version:
- The medal is slightly more double than the following ones and is it fixed with two feet to the side cover;
- The shank of the foot is bent in the middle (about 150 °);
- The base of the foot is smooth (without scratches);
- The pommel of the handle is smaller and does not bear the word "Alcedo";
- The serial number is hand engraved both inside the side cover and on the base of the body under the impeller
(in this model of mine the number 75 is shown).

I point out that some of the information I have reported is taken from the first volume "Italian fishing reels - Alcedo and Cargem" by my friend Silvano Baraldi whom I thank for his precious collaboration.

regards
Sergio Di Marco
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Alcedo Micron - 1st version

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thank you, Sergio, for the wonderful insight to the first Micron and its advertising. I had never seen that advertising clip of "Ike" & an Alcedo.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow. What a little sweetie of a reel.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Sergio,

Thanks and keep the history coming.

I don't own a first version but do have many including a few that must have been released shortly after the first run with the same drag knob and bail. I am very fond of the micron and think the bent leg versions were among the best ultralight reels ever made.

Low Profile
jack
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Alcedo Micron

Post by jack »

I wonder if the letters and numbers on my Alcedo Micron tell anything useful about it. I acquired the reel back in the 1950's. The housing has the following info: . . . . . Made in Italy Patent MATR 4D127. Any idea of what this reveals (if anything).