Apology to Dr.Ron Lewis and John Elder

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
clacker39
Frequent Board Poster

Apology to Dr.Ron Lewis and John Elder

Post by clacker39 »

I offer an unreserved apology to Dr.Ron Lewis and John Elder for committing to the purchase of
Ron's Hardy "Zane Grey" reel without doing due diligence on the total cost of bringing such an item into Australia.
I have never purchased a reel from the USA prior, with a value exceeding USD$700 and my ignorance of the facts and detail
have caused me a great deal of embarassment,but worse, a great deal of undue inconvenience to Ron and John.
The Australian Government has policies that incur a 10% tax Plus a 5% import duty on items with a value over AUD$1000.
The impact of these added costs,together with Insurance and a poor $ conversion rate have put the purchase out of my reach.
I have learnt a valuable lesson,in that,"one should engage brain before putting mouth into gear".
Again gentlemen,my abject apologies.
I believe the reel is being offered at a Bargain Price.
Kind Regards
Clacker39 [Bob]
Last edited by clacker39 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Apology to Dr.Ron Lewis and John Elder

Post by john elder »

Bob, don’t sweat it. Governments don’t make things easy and sending or receiving from your part of the world is particularly difficult. Check with tim Simpson in NZ and maybe he can get something to you without bankrupting you!

Best,
John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Most countries exempt Antiques that are more than 100 years old from import tariffs. In the US,
Importing Antiques Into the US
Antiques are exempt from import duties. To qualify, antiques must be at least 100 years old and have documentation included that confirms the age. Imported antiques found to not be at least 100 years old can be subject to an import duty between 5.2 and 25 percent depending on where the antique came from. CBP Form 7523 must be submitted with the antique. If the value of the item(s) is over $2,500 an ACE manifest needs to be submitted and a customs broker must complete the import. usacustomsclearance.com/
Australia also has exemptions for Antiques over 100 years old, but must have a Certificate of Authenticity (seems like Dr. John is qualified to issue such a cert). I note the following from the Australian Border Force web sitehttps://www.abf.gov.au/importing-export ... g-antiques:
Importing Antiques
What is an antique?
An antique is an item such as a work of art that has high value because of its age.
Importing an antique is free of duty if proven to be over 100 years old.
Antiques over 100 years old
To prove your goods are antiques, you must provide a Certificate of Antiquity (CoA). The CoA must state the goods are over 100 years old. It is important that you obtain a CoA before arranging to import antiques.
For details of overseas groups that issue CoAs visit the CINOAwebsite. For details of Australian antique dealers visit the Australian Antique Dealers Association website.
If we do not accept the CoA you have provided, we may seek advice from qualified experts. You will be liable for costs relating to advice and testing.
Antiques with a COA and a value over AUD1000 will be duty free. GST will apply to certified antiques with a value above the AUD1000 regardless of age.
Is the issue the reel's age? What is the exact vintage?
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

stamped with 1937 date, Matt, but thanks for the info!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Check with tim Simpson in NZ and maybe he can get something to you without bankrupting you!
Tim Simpson lives in Queensland. He is on the continent, peacefully living in Main Beach.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food