Modern braided line

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
snubnose57
Frequent Board Poster

Modern braided line

Post by snubnose57 »

Picked up a broken spinning rod with a Martin fly reel, spooled with modern braided line, a strange fishing set up for sure.
I was wondering if I could use the modern braided line on a vintage direct drive bait casting reel?
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Modern braided line

Post by Ron Mc »

I would avoid modern braided PE line because its hardness is going to wear everything in its path that isn't ceramic.

There are good soft braids out there - check ice fishing lines.

snubnose57
Frequent Board Poster

Post by snubnose57 »

Thanks will check it out.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I'm new to fishing with old DD bait-casters. The recommendations I've had suggest braided nylon. Concerns with PE braids are:
-They are so thin that loose loops can more easily get behind the spool.
-They have are so strong, and lacking the stretch of nylon, that they risk damaging older reel spools on strong hooks sets or when trying to free snags. Esp with the lighter duty reels.
-There is talk of PE braids digging down into spool of line, and causing abrupt cast stops. I've been using PE braids in modern casting reels since those braids came out, and have never had this be an issue. If I do develop loose line-lay while casting, I'm always sure to tighten things up before I cast again. This is just a habit. If I catch a large fish, I will pull out and re-lay that line. I'm bass fishing though so such tight spots in the spool don't go very deep.

I will be trying PE braids, and feel I can apply the necessary care. But that remains to be proven. I'm starting, at least, with nylon braid. I'm using Mason "Legend" lines purchased directly through Mason in 10 to 20#. It's inexpensive and appears to be of a fairly loose weave, so... we'll see how it works out. The old salts, that may yet pop on here, do not like the Mason line. They prefer "new old stock" (NOS) lines such as Shakespeare Wonderline or Cortland Camo. Neither are made anymore and so must be found on ebay or at antique tackle shows.

That's what I currently understand. If you try this stuff out, let me know what you find out.

Paul
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Paul, I wouldn't even use PE lines on agate guides - there can be soft seams in the natural rock and if the skinny PE finds it, it could groove straight into it like a saw blade.

You can always find Cortland Green Spot.
Gudebrod - Meatmaster is perfect, and there's still some OS out there - but they disappeared a few years ago when their tennis racket contract changed suppliers on them.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, Ron. I'd forgot about Dacron. Never used it. Will try some... unless I find I can make use of PE.

As to PE, I'll be using modern guides (on hand-spun faux vintage rods). I haven't had any issues with PE with my modern reels. I only have one rod with agate guides, and there are indeed some small fractures I can see with a hand lens.
jgestar
Big ORCA Fan

Post by jgestar »

Ron Mc wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:33 amI would avoid modern braided PE line because its hardness is going to wear everything in its path that isn't ceramic.
Vintage line guides aren't ceramic. Save the modern braid for modern reels.

Tom

Sometimes that eBay parts reel really is just a parts reel...
reelrick
Big ORCA Fan

Post by reelrick »

Back in the 70s I used an Ocean City Long Key for shark fishing. Spooled it with dacron 50 lb. test. In the middle of a battle with an 11' great hammerhead the reel spool came apart due to the pressure from the modern dacron line. so be wary of the synthetics on the old stuff. By the way, we tied the line into an old senator and landed the shark.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks all. Tom, that photo does it for me.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Well... just re-found this thread and so I thought I'd provide an update.

I've found modern PE braids to work just fine in my direct-drive (DD) reels, of all makes. I'm finding old DD casting reels to be pretty much the same basic animal as modern reels, minus the casting aids. 20lb PE braid handles very well in all my standard sized DD reels. 30 and 50lb works great in larger reels. Some caveats:

-When finesse fishing with the "UL" DD reels I've found 10lb PE braid to be too soft, making backlashes too frequent. I went to Berkley Fireline in 14lb and it works very well, having some rigidity and a bit more diameter.

-I found a Shakespeare Sportcast 1973D had spool edge tolerances that allowed line (14lb Fireline) to get in behind the spool too easily. When it happened I could, with great care, back a single loop out by turning the spool back a half turn or so. Not catching it immediately would require total take-down at home at the bench. I eventually went to other models for finesse line applications.

-As to PE cutting LW line guides, that remains to be seen. I'll have to keep tabs on my reels as I go.

I found the Mason braided Nylon to cast and handle well, but it does get saturated and will sink. And it frays easily. I simply could not find the old highly touted vintage brands of Nylon.

Hope this helps.