CARGEM: From The Origins To The World Success - First Part

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

CARGEM: From The Origins To The World Success - First Part

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

In this post I want to report an article related to the history of CARGEM written by my friend Roberto Granata who, like me, is a founding member of the ANTIPES Association.

Perhaps Mr. Sergio Carnevalli, as a poor prisoner in Hungary during the First World War, would never have imagined one day going down in history as the founder of a very prestigious manufacturer of fishing reels, so prestigious as to be, together with ALCEDO and ZANGI, a reference point of Made in Italy on the large and very important American market.
Yet fate, but also his talent, wanted him to learn the profession of mechanic in Hungary, while also finding a wife who in 1918 will give him a son, Emilio.
It will be he who will lead CARGEM until 1984, making it the last Italian firm in great style to close its doors.

The production site of the CARGEM company

The three previous images are taken from the first book "Alcedo e Cargem" by his friend Silvano Baraldi.

What can be the secret of such longevity?
In my opinion, the answer is very simple: the undisputed quality of the products combined with an intelligent advertising and marketing policy.
"PRECISION MECHANICS"
This is the name of the workshops where, in the 1930s, the very first prototype, still without a name, of what will be the famous “CIGNO” (Swan) was produced. This very first prototype is similar to the famous Swiss BERNA reel, which was already well established at that time.
The very few prototypes are not perfectly alike; with a good dose of certainty, we can date them according to the length of their "finger-stop", progressively smaller and smaller up to a simple protuberance that characterizes the "definitive" models, called “CIGNO”.
Even this protuberance is not always the same: in the first three models (manual line pick-up) it still has the appearance of a “finger stop”, while in the models with “full bail arm” it is more rounded, and even on the leg of the foot there is no longer the “half ring”.

This very first prototype is similar to the famous Swiss BERNA reel.

The photos that have a yellow background belong to the friend and great collector Matteo Norbiato.

In the meantime we arrive at the end of the war (WWII), and here is the first turning point: Sergio Carnevalli becomes the sole owner of the workshops, which from that moment put the construction of reels first and take the name CARGEM, (acronym of Carnevalli and Gemonio).
The latter (Gemonio) is the small town in Northern Italy, in the province of Varese, where the workshops were based.
Two new models were born in a few years; the beautiful "DUE PESCI" (Two Fishes) and the cheaper "STELLA ORO" (Gold Star) with external toothed crown, a rare and highly sought-after reel.
The first export attempts certainly date back to the last “40 or early “50 years; on some “CIGNO” latest model and rarely on some "DUE PESCI" with anti-revers button on the side of the body (always the latest model), the inscription "MADE IN ITALY" is engraved.
The same writing can be found on the most recent "STELLA ORO".

Here is a rare 1948 CARGEM advertisement

Model "Due Pesci" - (Two Fishes)

Model "Stella Oro" - (Gold Star)

Perhaps not everyone knows that this last reel exists in two versions: the first does not show on the body, together with the star, the wording "MADE IN ITALY", present instead on the second version.
All of the above is undoubtedly part of the first export attempts, which however will find their definitive path with the advent of Carnevalli Junior (Emilio) at the helm of the company, as we immediately see.
THE 1950s WERE RUNNING.

In 1956 Emilio Carnevalli took over from his sick father.
The "remakes" of the three models of the company are from that period; with a few simple modifications the following models will be produced:
• the "STELLA ORO" becomes the "CARGEM 11" (straight foot with medal)
• the "CIGNO" becomes the "CARGEM 22" (straight foot with medal)
• the "DUE PESCI" becomes the "CARGEM 33" (with the body painted in rough black and with a large gold colored medal) not to be confused with the much more famous "33" (Mignon and Mignon U. L.), a small size reel that will later be a resounding success!

The names given to the new reels (11, 22 and 33) suggest an intention, at least initially, to keep the range of only three types of models, while exporting them.
But, despite this, the “revolution” of the range takes place in a short time. How?
We will see it in the second part.

Article written by Roberto Granata in collaboration with Sergio Di Marco

Last edited by ANTIPES Italy reel on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: CARGEM: From The Origins To The World Success - First Part

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Great insight to the beginnings and history of Cargem, Sergio! Thank you for posting this. For those of us that don't comprehend Italian, it is nice to see it in English! :) I'm eager to see the remaining history!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Awesome!
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Great read!
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Sergio, please submit this to Richard Lodge for an article in the Reel News also.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Midway Tommy D wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:44 pm Great insight to the beginnings and history of Cargem, Sergio! Thank you for posting this. For those of us that don't comprehend Italian, it is nice to see it in English! :) I'm eager to see the remaining history!
Ciao Tom,
you are a big fan of Italian reels and you also own very rare models.
Thanks for the continued encouragement.
See you soon.
:fished
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Brian F. wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:52 pm Sergio, please submit this to Richard Lodge for an article in the Reel News also.
Hi Brian,
Richard has chosen another post of mine to publish on the next "The Reel News" in May.
If Richard finds this post useful too, he may decide to publish it in the following July bimonthly.
I am working on several other posts and I hope they are always very interesting and useful for fans who love these particular objects.
Soon I will also publish the second part relating to CARGEM reels, this further post was written in collaboration with my friend Roberto Granata.
Regards
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Fantastic info! Thanks for sharing!

-- Dr. Todd
Chinook1
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chinook1 »

Roberto/Sergio-

I go fishing for a week or so...and look to check on the ORCA website and there is ANOTHER history lesson on Italian reels! Excellent! Cargem...one of my favorites.
Please keep up the great work in keeping us spinning reel guys educated. You would make Ben proud!

Regards,

Steve