6/0 This Conroy engraved B Ocean reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

6/0 This Conroy engraved B Ocean reel

Post by Jay White »

Can someone please explain to me why a 6/0 BOcean reel engraved Thos Conroy sold on Angling Auctions for $1110.00? Im a BOcean fan, but I have never seen a 6/0 bring this kind of money??? Thanks
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: 6/0 This Conroy engraved B Ocean reel

Post by Steve »

A lot of collectors are more interested in the names they collect than in the reels themselves. And the name collecting applies to retailers, not just makers.
Or maybe two bidders thought that the unmarked leather case, like most reel boxes, was worth several times what the reel was worth.
I've forgotten who first recorded the song, "It Takes Two to Surprise in an Auction."

(BTW, that was Angling Marketplace, not Angling Auction.)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Agreed...I blame it on the lure of a nice leather case.....which only serves a purpose when you go to sell the reel! Nuts...
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

It could have been that two people put in high sniper bids at the same time figuring it would go for a lot less. Sometimes a high sniper bid can bit you on the ___.