E. Vom hofe early drag question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

E. Vom hofe early drag question

Post by Landrew99 »

Hi does anyone know anything about the very early 423 pre 1900 drag system that is only adjustable using a pin? Not while fishing. I am being told that the drag works in both directions but don't see how that can be unless the retrieve is also affected. I don't have the reel in hand. Maybe there is some clutch when linexis pulled out? Thx
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: E. Vom hofe early drag question

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Landrew99 »

Yes. I can't open the file but I see the patent number at top and that is correct. The patents on reel are 219328 and 271166. I am trying to get seller on phone for clarification but I can't see a drag where increasing tension on drag also increases tension on retrieve. That would not sound right. Thx
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

a drag where increasing tension on drag also increases tension on retrieve
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
The other patent you mention is Vom Hofe's sliding-button click invention.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

jr.evansii
Frequent Board Poster

Post by jr.evansii »

Could the description "the drag works in both directions," mean that the reel can be used either right or left handed?

J.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Curious, is this "drag" for fighting fish, for anti-backlash, or for spool centering/tensioning? Seems the term "drag" gets used to describe all three.

EDIT: Ah, it's a fly reel.
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The early 423's drag was made to make contact with the spool to the degree you set the drag knob and it did not change when letting wind out or reeling it in...drag arms could not rotate. I believe around 1900, they switched to a drag where the drag pads only made contact with the spool when line was going out. When you cranked the handle, the drag arms would rotate about 180 degrees, controlled by a ramped washer (sorry, lousy terminology), and retract away from the spool, thus making retrieve easy.

pinned drag arms:

free wheeling drag...on retrieve, the arms would rotate until contacting that pin with red mark, at which point, the drag pads would be off the spool:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Landrew99 »

Thx John. The reel is likely pre 1900. Sounds like what I was told about tension being the same in and out as drag is changed is true on this reel. Re patent numbers I just mentioned both to help id the reel and age. Indeed the reel can probably be used in either LHw or RHW. Thx everyone for your posts.
Johan A
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Johan A »

The break works the same in both directions .

But the handle and handle nut is screwed on the shaft .

They can unscrew if fishing LHW

Johan
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Having the keeper nut tightened down on the handle should discourage the handle from unscrewing. However, streams are full of those nuts... best stick to RHW!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I believe around 1900, they switched...
That sequence seems odd to me, as the 1879 patent describes a mechanism entirely dependent on apposed spiral cams for applying drag pressure. So EVH would have ignored his own design for 20 years before adding the cams?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Johan A
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Johan A »

Steve wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:52 am
I believe around 1900, they switched...
That sequence seems odd to me, as the 1879 patent describes a mechanism entirely dependent on apposed spiral cams for applying drag pressure. So EVH would have ignored his own design for 20 years before adding the cams?
There is spiral cam on the old breaks with pinned break arm to . So that is correct .
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yep....both have the "spiral cams", which I cleverly described as a "ramp washer" :roll:

On the older models, the action of the cam pushes the non-rotating drag arms against the spool as the drag adjustment is tightened. Same happens with the later drag, but the arms swivel to tighten against the spool when line is pulled out and and swivel back to that post on retrieve and away from spool.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

"Spiral cam" is based on EVH's immortal words in the patent. "Ramp washer" works just as well. :cool

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's some more photos of the EVH 1879 drag patent. The brake pads move in and out based on how much you turn the drag knob. Drag action is independent of which retrieve direction you use.

Johan A
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Johan A »

Great pics Ron . You can easy see the spiral cam on one of them .