A Treasure

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
corbo
Frequent Board Poster

A Treasure

Post by corbo »

You all know, but I must say it again with regard to this man and what he does and has done for ORCA and it's members.
I sent a couple of reels to Mr. Elder for simple grasps and fitments recently on a couple of old Meisselbachs. He had helped me with a little JVH fly reel in the past.
Sent me photos of his work a couple of days ago and I await receipt as beautifully done.
The point is....he seems not to care whether a reel he works on is $10 or $10,000.00 valued. He's committed to help the collector, and may he be blessed for his talent.
Very much appreciated John. Thank you.
Corbo
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: A Treasure

Post by wrong99 »

One of the good ones, for sure.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Love me some John Elder. He is a great sounding board and a fountain of knowledge.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Aw, shucks... twernt nuthin’. :oops: Thanks for the pats, guys...so glad that doing something i enjoy is of benefit to others!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

You are the best "Brother"!!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

+1 to all these comments.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Post by bamboocollector11 »

+2 To all the comments above, and he makes time for people and questions from those that are new to this " hobby/addiction".
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Thanks John Elder for all you do for ORCA!
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

One of the best, for sure. Thank you, John!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

A true gentleman and scholar who knows his way around the old work shop. Thanks for all you do!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

John’s been very helpful in my quest to break into old reels too, in terms of encouragement, advice, parts, and inspiration. I’ve really appreciated the enthusiasm, expertise, and willingness to help rescue even rather mundane reels here... from a number of members. (If one can even call such wonderful machines “mundane”.)
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

John has made huge contributions to our hobby and I'm grateful.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I've lost track of how many times John has helped me ...but not of how grateful I am.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

If it were not for John Elder, there would be no Penn History books or Ocean City history book. John was my inspiration and mentor.

John also reversed a very sad event for me. I had bought an Edward vom Hofe Commander Ross 14/0 from the estate of Ray Hodges, that was the subject of my first Reel News article. The article was about the restoration of the reel by the Late Ray Hodges who was my partner and friend until he passed away. This reel had a heartfelt value to me and was badly damaged during its shipping. I thought I had lost a irreplaceable reel.

John offered to help me and brought the reel back. He saved my connection to Ray. I felt I was lucky enough to know the only guy on the planet that could have done what he did and volunteered his help to me. Here is the reel now.

I find it hard to find the words to show the appreciation I have for John Elder but I will say, ORCA is lucky to have him. He is the best! :bow: :bow: :bow:
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

That's a great story Mike. John is the go-to guy to help you cope with a reel disaster.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Gosh, thanks again for all the pats! Of all the repairs i have done, fixing Ray’s reel is at the top of my favorites list, Mike! And re your books, all I did was wave the pompoms a few times. It was your hard work that made those books happen and you filled a huge hole in reel history by researching and writing them!

The best part for me about this thread is that its not an obit! :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

The best part for me about this thread is that its not an obit! :D
Kudos have much deeper meanings when they are not obits. Only special people get the profound Kudos before the obit happens. :D
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food