Lang's Auction is too much fun!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Lang's Auction is too much fun!

Post by Bill Muth »

Just finished watching the Lang's reel run. My impressions - modern fly reels and ABU reels were generally really, really strong. Some good buys to be had on Vom Hofe and Meisselbach products. Had my eye on the Al Foss marked Horton reel, but didn't want to drop $2500 (including the premiums) on a $750ish reel. Maybe that wood box for a tool that came with it was worth something. Overall pretty strong prices throughout, the market is certainly healthy.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Lang's Auction is too much fun!

Post by john elder »

Strong! Indeed! Stupid money!!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Prices were very strong, I bid on 46 items, some more serious than others, and won one— the Christiansen landing net.

I also liked the Foss casting reel, but $2300 with premium for a Meek Horton No.2 seemed top of the market. Foss items and other documented tournament casting reels with provenance continue to climb.

Did anyone think they would ever see a simple EVH business card sell for $2541 with premium? That’s some serious ephemera.

The vintage tackle market has a lot of breadth and depth right now. There are so many ways to diversity a vintage tackle collection with quality items right now...from reels to rods to nets to lures, flies, creels, bobbers, hooks, vintage catalogs etc.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I won just one item out of 18, the set of 3 different sizes of Yawman Erbe automatic fly reels. I bid on the folding net that was after the carved one Mike, but alas I was outbid.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I won 15 lots, and paid through the nose on each one. Love it, though.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

And just when you think the reel collectors have the market cornered on crazy, there’s this from the lure side of the hobby...box (only) all in at $7500 with 21% premium.

Last edited by Mike N on Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I sat out this auction, I searched for things I was passionate about and didn't see anything. I did pick this lure this spring however, so the Killer was interesting. Not sure how mine compares to the one in the auction.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

kyreels wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:56 pm I sat out this auction, I searched for things I was passionate about and didn't see anything. I did pick this lure this spring however, so the Killer was interesting. Not sure how mine compares to the one in the auction.
Matt, that’s very cool. Here is the Lang’s description of today’s box:

DESCRIPTION
The rarest of the three known picture box variations for the 400 Dowagiac Killer. Dating to 1905 with the "wavy" line border, the top label is offset a bit so the line on the right side is wrapped over the edge, as are most of the few known examples, marked for the White No. 400. With light general wear, minor soiling, a couple of small spots of loss on the flaps/corners, and lightly age darkened. This very rare version is seldom seen for sale, especially in this condition.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
bamboocollector11
Frequent Board Poster

Post by bamboocollector11 »

I bid ahead of time, not live on almost 100 actions. Took 2nd place on a half dozen or more, but won nothing. The lure prices were incredible.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

I have said it before, and I will say it again. If I passed up on purchasing a piece of tackle because some expert told me I was paying too much for it, my tackle room would be empty, and that's the truth. I paid huge premiums for most everything I have. But I get a great deal of joy and pleasure out of my collection, and you can't put a price tag on that. And with few exceptions, on the rare occasion I have had to sell something to upgrade, I have been able to get my money back.

For those of you who paid good money for the items you just added to your collection, I say good on you!! Congratulations!! I am happy you found a nice piece of tackle to add to your collection. You now have it to enjoy and treasure for years to come!

John
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

My rule with vintage tackle has always been not to buy unless people will line up to buy it from me for at least what I paid.

Of course I'm not filling a collection, just petting and occasionally fishing my examples.

RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Pflueger fly reel (a “Phantom Pflueger”) brought $1,400. Lusted for one of those for years while collecting.
Most money I ever recall seeing for a Pflueger reel. Nice to be on the sidelines.

Bad Bob
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

I think $1400 for that Pflueger fly reel is a really good price. I wish I had been following now.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

The only item I bid on was the original Russell Chatham Woodcock sketches for the book “Making Game” by Guy deValdene. A favorite book of mine that I have re-read a dozen times. I placed a pre-auction bid and then forgot about it. I would have bid higher if I was live. I’m surprised they don’t have alerts like eBay does. I can’t spend all weekend watching the live bidding.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

wrong99 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:43 pm I won 15 lots, and paid through the nose on each one. Love it, though.
No wonder I could not win anything! :bash:
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com