Penn history question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JeffK
Advanced Board Poster

Penn history question

Post by JeffK »

Approximately when did Penn first make reference to their "new reliable oiling and greasing system"?

Cuttyhunker
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Penn history question

Post by Cuttyhunker »

Here is a collection of Penn grease tubes, I've been told the gray one on the left with the metal cap dates from the 30's
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

It first appears in the 1936 catalog.
The box contains one tube of gear grease and one tube of spindle oil.
-Chris R.
JeffK
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JeffK »

Thank you both for your input. Here are the tubes from the box.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Here they are with the 1936 Penn Senator 115, box and catalog.

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Earliest reference I have that matches the graphics on your box is catalog #8, 1940. I heard Penn added graphite to lubes. If true, that would explain the gunk I have to jackhammer out of some old ones I have. My grandfather swore by petroleum jelly....said it wouldn't taint the line and turn the fish off. Anyhoo, also check Mystic Reel Parts. They have a Penn archive going back to the 30's. Cool stuff and good catch. Thanks for showing us.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Earliest reference I have that matches the graphics on your box is catalog #8, 1940. I heard Penn added graphite to lubes. If true, that would explain the gunk I have to jackhammer out of some old ones I have.
The box and reel in my photo is a 1936. The #4 Catalog is also in the photo. That reel box was only used for 1936 and 1937. The box the lube came in was probably used up to the war.

As far as Penn adding graphite to the lube, I doubt it. It may have been in the lube that Penn included with the spinning reels introduced in the 1960's. That old paste you find when you open an old reel is simply how old grease gets when it is left over too much time. Especially the Lubriplate grease that Ocean City used. That stuff turned to a paste that resembled plumbers putty.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food