Side to side spool play in Zwarg 300

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

Side to side spool play in Zwarg 300

Post by Landrew99 »

Hi all. Anyone know what might cause a bit of side to side spool play in a Zwarg 300 2/0 reel? Is it generally fixable/adjustable? I really don't want to take it apart myself and risk damage if it likely cannot be adjusted. Reel is in otherwise just too nice condition for me to mess with. Thx
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Side to side spool play in Zwarg 300

Post by john elder »

Hi, if not abused, it certainly should be fixable. I have worked on several, so should be able to help you. I will pm you with my contact info if you wish to send it along.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Landrew99 »

Thanks John, I really appreciate your offer. For now i would rather not ship it cross country.. If you have any thoughts on what to look for in case I do decide to open it up myself that would be great. Happy to PM you if you prefer. Andrew
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Andrew, got home and had a look at mine. No sign of side play and only two places seem likely to be involved in your problem; either the handle is wrong and not fitting down snugly and/or there is an issue with the drag arms. I've added a couple exploded views so you can see what's up inside. Does the spool play go away when winding so that the drag is engaged? If you tightened the drag all the way down, does it influence the play? I'm wondering if the drag arms have been removed or the leather drags are worn away or missing?

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Landrew99 »

Hey John. So a couple things. If I tighten the drag there is no spool play. If I hold the handle with my thumb while at the same time I have my forefinger on the inside of the spool, i can't move the spool/handle assembly side to side. However after a few turns of the handle it gets loose again. The amount of play is maybe 1/16 of an inch (?). Also, tightening down the drag all the way does increase pressure somewhat but nowhere near what I would expect. The reel is otherwise flawless cosmetically with zero scratches or fading. It was not cheap which is why I hesitate mailing to you to fix. I fully trust you (your reputation is as good as it gets) just don't want to risk mailing it. Thx for your help and time. Andrew
Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Landrew99 »

One other thing. The drag does not engage right away. It takes a good quarter turn to engage.
Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Landrew99 »

Actually if I engage the drag at all ( after that quarter turn) the spool locks in place until I start reeling in again.
Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Landrew99 »

In case my last couple posts were unclear...if I reel backwards (drag engaged - any setting) there is no spool play. If I then start reeling in, the spool play returns. John i realize there is just so much you can suggest without seeing the reel. I dont want to wear out my welcome. If I decide to take it apart i will send pictures. Thx again.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Seems likely the pads are either worn down or may, in fact, be missing. That "spider washer spring" that holds the drag arms away from the back plate might also be bent flat, so not creating any tension to take up the slack. the fix would be to pull off that back plate and see what's going on. My guess is that if you change the pads, if needed and put the "spring" back in that spring by bending back to spider shape, your problem will go away.

The drag should only work when line is going out, but I suspect the pads never totally lose contact with the spool when things are set up right. thus, no play...if you are losing contact, then there's room for lateral movement. it's all about what's going on under that back plate, methinks!

If that is not the problem, then it must be that the handle is not seating down all the way, creating play on the faceplate side. If that is the case, the handle should move in and out when you have play. On my reel, when handle is snug, that doesn't happen. If you have play in yours, that's suspect. It's not unusual to find that someone has changed a handle or handle nut and it works, but not with grace.

Taking it apart is no big deal...you just need to use a tight-fitting screwdriver and be careful not to bugger the screws. As to mailing it out, I have never had an issue with priority mailing....can't ever say never, but it's safe....and folks have sent reels 6x the value of the 300 and survived the experience. Having said that, I'm confident you can wrestle this on to the ground yourself. I'll be happy to help, as needed.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Landrew99
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Landrew99 »

Really appreciate it John!
Johan A
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Johan A »

A bit of spool play is normal on EvH and Zwarg reels .

They are seldom super tight

Johan