Scammer Alert

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Scammer Alert

Post by Deepfins791 »

I just read Mike N's post on suspicious emails, so thought I would relay a word of caution coming from the Classic Fly Rod Forum. They have been having trouble with scammers responding to WTB posts, and I recently had first-hand experience with one. I posted a WTB ad on their forum, and got a response from a guy who claimed he had the reel I was looking for. I noted the guy didn't have any posts, so I was immediately suspicious. He sent me some nice photos of the reel he supposedly had. I googled images of the reel I was looking for, and low and behold, I found his pictures in a 7-year old post on another forum. I contacted the person from that forum, and was able to confirm he still had the reel. So the scammer had lifted some old pictures off another site, and was using them to try and get money out of me. I notified the moderator, and had the guy removed from the site. Of course, all's you have to do is create a new profile, and you are back to scamming. But if we are all vigilante, maybe we can at least slow these boneheads down. No doubt, they will eventually find their way over here.

John
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Scammer Alert

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks for the post, John. Sadly, this kind of thing happens daily. And getting more frequent. A little research (which we all should do), saved you.
Mark
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Scammer Alert

Post by Shellbelly »

I got in a twist on another site looking for parts. Found some obscure parts at a decent price, but not stupid cheap. Ordered via paypal and that was the end of that. Had to get tracking from paypal. USPS confirmed delivery to a postal locker in my town. Looked into the site owner, address, phone, all of it. Did some digging and everything was fake. I learned stuff the scam watch sites didn't know. Only took 30 minutes. Good thing it was through paypal. Who would think reel handles and $2.00 bearings would be scam bait? Oh...stay away from cexpatch.com. On another site there was a Sailfisher for 29 bucks...contact link didn't work and I slammed the door. Now they're coming in here?! Need to go back to the secret handshake.