Vom Hofe Size 2/00 = What Yardage Rating?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Vom Hofe Size 2/00 = What Yardage Rating?

Post by wrong99 »

On a Julius Vom Hofe reel, what is the yardage capacity on a 2/00 size? Thanks.
Mark
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Vom Hofe Size 2/00 = What Yardage Rating?

Post by wrong99 »

Anyone?
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I looked in the JVH catalogs that I have copies of, and they don't even show a reel as a 2/00. They only list yardage. Info must be in earlier catalog copies than I don't have.

Ron
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I have a couple of different styles
of JVH reels (presumably for Tarpon) that are marked 2/00 but I don’t know the yardage ratings. The spool capacities on my examples seem to be different from each other. I did note there is a shamrock logo 2/00 JVH ball handle pictured in the JVH book by Champion/Larson. Seems to me that none of the retailer catalogs in that book show the “2/00” size. Most listings just use the retailers model number and in some cases a yardage number, so I’m wondering if 2/00 was only sold as a trade reel, not via a large retailer. I also wonder what the standard was to determine the yardage. I have seen a reference somewhere about the line specification used to establish capacity ratings but can’t find it. I also recall that Don Champion wrote that Edward was making the larger JVH reels. Are you going to post a picture, Mark?
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Mark, A JVH reel marked 2/00 is a 300 yarder. A 1/0 is a 250 yarder and a 3/0 is a 350 yarder. Why he used 2/00 instead of 2/0 I don't really know except the 2/00 reel is the size reel you could start adding the throw off. Bill Hoerter
BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Mark, The throw off would not have anything to do with why Julius used the 2/00 for his 300 yard reels because I have a JVH Ball Handle reel with the clover leaf trade mark that is stamped with the 2/00. Why Julius used these numbers instead of yardage numbers like his Father did is a real mystery to me especially since all the catalogs use yardage numbers for his reels. William Slote who I think apprenticed with Fritz and Julius used the numbers like Julius but he used a 2/0 for his 300 yard reel instead of a 2/00. I have never seen a 2/00 marked reel made by anybody but Julius. Bill Hoerter
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks guys. Most appreciated.
Mark