CARGEM: From The Origins To The World Success - Second Part

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

CARGEM: From The Origins To The World Success - Second Part

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

-- Second Part --
As we have seen in the first part of this article, Carnevalli Emilio led the CARGEM Company starting in 1956.
A few years earlier (1954 or 1955) there were only three CARGEM models (11 / 22 / 33), all with bevel gears and all just "obtained" from previous productions.
In 1958 we already found the advertisement for the small reel "MIGNON 33" in the ROCKLAND catalog in the USA.
These three considerations are enough to prove that with the advent of Mr. Emilio, production was radically revolutionized (but above all expanded) by introducing a higher level range, with helical gears and, in general, modern and of undisputed quality.

CARGEM "Stella Oro" (Gold Star) compared to a CARGEM 11

CARGEM CIGNO (Swan) compared to a CARGEM 22

CARGEM "Due Pesci" (Two Fishes) compared to a CARGEM 33

(The three previous images belong to my friend Renzo Di Paolo whom I thank for his precious collaboration)

(The old Rockland catalog from 1958 is by my friend Sergio Di Marco)

The previous models with bevel gears, however, were not shelved; the 11 and 22 models continued to join the rest of the production in the list, while the 33 (with bevel gears) ended its career, as can be seen from the price lists, to give way to its namesake (and tiny) 33 with helical gears.
This is the reason for the discreet rarity of the 33 with bevel gears.
In any case, in a very few years the company found itself in possession of an excellent and varied "top" range with helical models of all sizes.
I believe that the primary question, and perhaps never addressed, is that of giving the various (and numerous) models a chronological order.

CHRONOLOGY AND EVOLUTION OF THE VARIOUS MODELS
Starting from 1962, through the documentation that is becoming more and more extensive, it is possible to catalog a good part of the models with certainty.
Instead, before this date, we must often refer to the logic which, however, with a careful analysis of the object and its characteristics, gives the possibility of shedding light on those (approximately) five years (1956-57 / 1962) that lead from the first models to a now complete range.
We must also remember that we are talking about a brand where the variations are numerous and for this reason the difficulties increase in proportion.

THE FIRST MODELS WITH HELICAL GEARS
The first small size reel is definitely the 230 model.
This model is quite rare, it has no placement in catalogs and advertisements and is the only one (officially) to mount the crank handle already used on models 11, 22 and 33 (bevel gears).
It is therefore clear that it was soon replaced, certainly by the 23 LANCER.

I think the first medium-sized model is the CARGEM “Super Cu.Ro”, to be clear the one with the "medal" with a white and blue background.

It is very rare and mounts the clutch knob (even) of the model "Stella Oro" (Golden Star).
We have therefore seen two evident signs of first production attempts, which use parts already in use in the company, and not dedicated (and sometimes interchangeable) to a definitive and large-scale production.

At this point an important turning point takes place.
The 33, the smallest model, had already been in production since at least 1958; the evolution of the first and very rare medium size reel gives life to the "44 SUPER" with gold colored metal medal and which, in turn, by changing the impeller with a 79 mm / 3.11 inches one, becomes the first model “55” (always with a gold colored metal medal).

Here is therefore created a range of excellent and robust reels with the possibility of having different sizes in the catalog, from ultra-light to medium-heavy.
The first 33, 44 and 55 have a smaller foot than the following ones and, all three, have no writing on the body on the side of the lid, but only the medal.

In my opinion the rarest of them is 33.
Subsequently (and probably almost immediately) the following models begin to arrive in this order: 33 MIGNON with medal, 33 MIGNON with toothed wheel printed on the lid and finally 33 MIGNON UL.
There are several variants during production; with crank on the right, with anti-return knob instead of the lever, with manual pick-up (exclusive model for the US market) and some with other small differences.

As for the 44 SUPER, the noteworthy change concerns, at a certain point, the increase in the size of the foot (and obviously of the stem).
As for his "derivative" 55 with medal, personally I have never seen a specimen with an oversized foot and stem, although I do not exclude that they may exist.
However, this makes me think that, in the meantime, another namesake has taken his place.

We will see everything in the third and last part.

Text written by Roberto Granata with the graphic collaboration of Sergio Di Marco