Penn Senator early 3 piece spools

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
clacker39
Frequent Board Poster

Penn Senator early 3 piece spools

Post by clacker39 »

Hi Members
I am hoping that someone may be able to assist me in trying to pin down an approximate date/ year or model that the
Penn 3 piece spools were changed.
I have Generation 1 and Generation 2, 3 piece spools that vary in arbor diameter and arbor collar size and shape.
Can anyone please provide any insight as to when these changes may have been made?
Regards
Clacker39
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Penn Senator early 3 piece spools

Post by 1badf350 »

The 10/0 and 12/0 came standard with one piece spools in 1954 according to the catalog.
I think it was optional on the other senators until a few years later
-Chris R.
clacker39
Frequent Board Poster

Post by clacker39 »

Hi Chris
Thank you, that gives me a basic starting point.
I would have thought that Penn would have maintained a similiar manufacturing process for all 3 piece spools!!!
There are very distinct differences in my Gen 1 16/0 and other Gen 2 16/0's that I have.
The arbors vary in diameter and the shape and size of the arbor collars is different.
Mike may be able to shed some light on the matter.

Regards Clacker39
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

I know exactly what you mean. On the 14/0 and 16/0 specifically I noticed a reduction in size of the arbor collars and an increase in arbor size. Based on my own collection I think I’ve narrowed down the timeframe for that to around 1949-50. Just my best guess.

PS: The three piece spool reels also seem to consistently have torpedo knobs with pointy ends. The solid one piece spool reels seem to have more rounded torpedo knobs

Hope my observations help. It is an interesting topic
-Chris R.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Following the spool offering in the catalogs are the easiest way to get a timeline on spool changes. The Senator spool evolution varies depending on what model you are referring to. Early 14 and 16/0 three piece spools had a very different thick arbor collar than other models. Those early big game spools were very prone for the spool side flange to get loose. The one piece spool became a massive improvement for the big game models.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food