Abbey & Imbrie/JVH mystery

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Abbey & Imbrie/JVH mystery

Post by Steve »

For a couple of decades, I've wondered about the origin of an Abbey & Imbrie compensating reel, model 586 or 386, with what is essentially a star drag adjusted with a disc instead of a star wheel. (A rim button activates the drag.) It's reminiscent of Van Gieson's 1864 drag. Here are shots of the reel and its guts:

What intrigued me most about the reel are two hand-scratched inscriptions inside the headcap and under the foot. One shows a date of "Oct. 10, 09," which would be years before the star drag was introduced on the B/Ocean reel.

I've never been able to find the reel in A&I catalogs, and I've always figured it was a prototype or an after-market addition by a competent machinist. Searches for the identity of Gid Luttrell have been confusing. A John F. Luttrell was a machinist in Brooklyn for many years. But there were Gid, Gideon, and Giddeon Luttrells all over the country, especially in Tennessee and California, during the 1900-1920 period, none whom I could ID in New York City. So the first major question I have is: Was Gid Luttrell merely an owner of the reel, perhaps receiving it as a gift? The second is: What is the significance of the inscribed date in the headcap? Could that drag have been made that long before the first star drag appeared, or does the date signify something else in retrospect, e.g., graduation from casting school, release from jail, whatever?

The idea that the reel was a prototype or some machinist's weekend project was shattered years later, when I ran across a model 99 1/2C reel (I think that's the model no.) with the same drag.
This time, the device looked a lot more like an after-market add-on. Here's a comparison of the reels' adjusting wheels and crank collars:

It's hard to believe that I could have picked up separately two reels modified by the same person, some 80-90 years after the modifications were made. If you have ever seen reels with similar drags, of if you can throw any light on the origins of these things, please let us know!

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Abbey & Imbrie/JVH mystery

Post by RonG »

That's a really cool JVH reel and drag wheel I hadn't seen before. I looked in the ORCA library for the catalog copies they have and I also have the 1889, 1898 and 1899 catalogs. The reel or drag are in none of them. I didn't look in all the ORCA Library A&I catalogs assuming you already have.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The 1884 and 1888 catalogs show nothing, either.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

As a friend of mine that worked for the NSA said, "events of low probability do occur". Interesting finds, I always enjoy looking at drags/brakes. I tend to look at each one and try to rate its pros and cons, but I am not as learned as Steve and many others. I can't quite glean from this one how effective the adjustment would be, or how effective the drag action. But it appears to be great for the time. I am sure someone will run across this post in a search for G Luttrell at some point, hope you get some info. My goal for this site and other ORCA info is to get it all indexed on the web so good luck.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I can't quite glean from this one how effective the adjustment would be, or how effective the drag action. But it appears to be great for the time.
Below are shots of a 1902-patented EVH drag (left) and the drag from the first A&I reel above. I doubt they would behave differently. But I wish we could really determine the time. Both reels are post-1889, as they're stamped with JVH's patent date. If that inscription indicates a date of drag manufacture, it would mean that someone came up with the wheel-adjustable drag years before it was marketed by JVH.

Thanks to rong and wrong for the catalog info. I've checked everything in the ORCA library and a couple of others to no avail.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Steve, whats the back of that handle look like? I don’t see how tightening the drag wheel applies the drag. Tightening would push down on the handle, which sits on the shoulder below the square tip of the shaft that the handle must fit on. It would not make contact with the shaft associated with the serrated AR wheel. Seems there is another character in this play??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Voila. I like the button that depresses the spring that lowers the (unseen) screwdriver-like pin that goes into a slot on the back of the adjusting wheel to keep it from turning freely.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So that shoulder on the back of the handle goes deep enough to compress the drag?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

So that shoulder on the back of the handle goes deep enough to compress the drag?
Given a drag washer or two.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels