BMV Model D

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
A.J.
Big ORCA Fan

BMV Model D

Post by A.J. »

Got a bunch of hand me down fishing gear. Most of it fairly old. Some of the reels I have found on EBay as far as value. This forum is the only place I have seen this particular brand mentioned a few years back. Anyone know anything about it? It is still in box and looks like new. I don’t think it’s even been on a pole. I would like to sell what I can to get newer stuff for my son. I just have no idea what to ask for it.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: BMV Model D

Post by RonG »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23910

Check out this link to find recommendations on finding reel values.
A.J.
Big ORCA Fan

Post by A.J. »

RonG wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:54 pm viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23910

Check out this link to find recommendations on finding reel values.
Thanks Ron. For the most part I have found info on several other reels I have. I did look at the topic you posted the link to even before I posted here. If I was a collector I would gladly spend the $ for the book mentioned and/or the online deal. I am not a collector. For all I know it may not be worth the cost of the book. Most of the other brands I have (Mitchell, Zebco, Arex, True Temper) seem to be going for around $25-35 ea. The BMV is much harder to find info on. This forum was the only mention of it I could find from several years back. I know you guys probably get post after post like this. I get it. I guess I’m that guy right now. If someone has information on it or thinks it’s worth having great! If not I’ll just be on my merry way and stick it on a box in the attic for awhile.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

AJ, i didn’t recognize the name, so i did a search and found out it was me responsible for that one lonely post about a BMV reel! As you can see, i wasn’t asking much and i took less from a collector in Denmark, so don’t plan on buying a new car. At the same time, lesser reels that are NIB pick up a collector group that just collect NIB reels, so you are probably not far off at a half a buck for it. Best bet is to take a few good pics and post here in the For Sale page and see what comes.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
A.J.
Big ORCA Fan

Post by A.J. »

Thanks John, glad to see you are still here. I will get a couple pictures and post it up. I had no delusions of finding the holy grail of spinning reels. Appreciate the info.
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

your reel was made in denmark specifically for the american market and they were distributed from a seattle co. in the early 60's i got this info. from another orca member when we made a trade for some hardy fly rod lures a few years back
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

BMV made spinning reels in Denmark from about 1948 through the mid/late '50s, 1957 or so. BMV made Models, A, B, C, D, E & F. BMV also made a reel for the American market (US & Canada) called the Andrika Model A, '56/'57. The Andrika Model A is basically the same reel as the BMV Model D. They are shaped similar to the Pelican/Orvis 100.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027