I need spinning reel advice

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
hillbillywhale
Big ORCA Fan

I need spinning reel advice

Post by hillbillywhale »

Hi! This is my first post and I am really glad to be here! I am looking for vintage spinning reels for bass/carp , I need practicality and value. I plan on replacing all of my modern reels with vintage ones, so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Any advice on brands and models would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Re: I need spinning reel advice

Post by arley »

PENN SS series are rugged as are the older greenies. I, myself, use Daiwa SS whiskers as my go to reels.
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

Not sure what "vintage" you are looking for, but if I have a spinning reel in my hand, it is a green Zebco Cardinal The #3, #4, #6, cover all my needs from Crappies in Ohio, to Snook and Redfish in Florida. The only negative I can mention, the #4 plastic spools have a propensity to crack and break. There are aluminum spools out there to take of the problem. John
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Most bass guys like a faster retrieve. While I don't care for them and won't use them at all for standard trolling or slip bobber applications the original ABU 4X/Express @ 6:1 ratio seems to be a lot of plug guys' favorite. The black ABU Garcia C4X skirted spool model would fit that bill as well.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

arley wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:33 pm PENN SS series are rugged as are the older greenies. I, myself, use Daiwa SS whiskers as my go to reels.
I like the larger Penn SS series reels too and have used them in some pretty brutal saltwater conditions for years. They are a little heavier but last a long time because of that. I'm sure a 420 SS or even a 716 or 714 Z would be great for bass and will outlast your lifetime.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Brian speaks truth.
don309
Big ORCA Fan

Post by don309 »

Vintage, Back in the day the reel was a Mitchell 300, Mitchell started making this reel in1939! Well over 13,128,960 were made. I have a few different models. The 300 would do well with Bass & Carp. One throw back is the bail springs don't last forever. If you were to decide on this reel, pick up extra springs at the popular auction site. Also check out youtube video by Wallace Carney. I repair and restore Mitchell's, I will also say it takes some getting use to, to get the springs in fast. Decide on a Mitchell feel free to PM me if you have any problems.
Retired so I'm out fishing or building a rodI :fished
hillbillywhale
Big ORCA Fan

Post by hillbillywhale »

don309 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:44 pm Vintage, Back in the day the reel was a Mitchell 300, Mitchell started making this reel in1939! Well over 13,128,960 were made. I have a few different models. The 300 would do well with Bass & Carp. One throw back is the bail springs don't last forever. If you were to decide on this reel, pick up extra springs at the popular auction site. Also check out youtube video by Wallace Carney. I repair and restore Mitchell's, I will also say it takes some getting use to, to get the springs in fast. Decide on a Mitchell feel free to PM me if you have any problems.
thanks so much for the offer!
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

I like to hear somebody going after the often underestimated and overlooked carp. What rods do you prefer for carp?
For a saltwater fisherman who is landlocked, carp are worthy line pullers and I've enjoyed catching those big guys.
hillbillywhale
Big ORCA Fan

Post by hillbillywhale »

over the years I have collected numerous light action 8,9,10ft spinning rods. I used to fish with my grandather when I was young for "buffalo". Great fun!
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

It is fun! When I first moved to central TX, a bunch of us would put a dollar in a hat and spend the day having a carp tournament at Lake Travis. You had to bring a box of rabbit food as well. I saw all manner of home made concoctions put together for dough bait. Classic folding chair fishing with family all around and mesquite in the grill all day long. Great opening post, sir!
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

Shellbelly wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:55 pm I like to hear somebody going after the often underestimated and overlooked carp. What rods do you prefer for carp?
For a saltwater fisherman who is landlocked, carp are worthy line pullers and I've enjoyed catching those big guys.
in Europe Carp are a sport fish .glossy magazines devoted to Carp have articles like 'Hilda ,weight 32 lbs 6 oz ,was caught on 06/01/76 by Hans. She had previously been caught by Broomhilde on 05/4 / 76 and weighed 31 lbs 3 oz. articles are devoted to rods, reels, bait etc. really quality productions also.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Interesting. A line of gear and sportsmen dedicated to carp. Here in TX the "grass carp" is considered invasive and if caught has to be removed and destroyed. Possession and returning it to the water is illegal except in stock tanks...oh, sorry, PONDS.

As for vintage reels, here's one that would probably handle a good sized carp. It's a bit clickety-clackety and commands quite a bit of space and handle travel, but it's a proven model and brand. Not too hard to find. DAM Quick 550.
Hang on tight, it's a gyroscope! Convertible to left hand if I'm not mistaken.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I have to add to the recommendations on using the Penn SS series spinning reels for large freshwater species. I love my 750SS.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Not to mention a fast retrieve with that 6 foot handle!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

So many good options, many covered above. Tough to beat the DAM Quicks. The Shakespeare 2052, 2062. A bit “newer” (skirted), and a bit lighter, are the Shakespeare 2200 series 030, 035 etc . As are the 2400’s.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

So many good choices are out there. Regardless of what you get, I want to see some carp. I have a picture somewhere of my son at 3 or 4 attempting to grab one we landed. It looks as big as he was at the time. Great fun.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

As to carp… they are strong fighters, can be challenging to catch (very spooky). Any rig can catch them from UL up. Depends on how big they are in the water you’ve got in front of you. Great fly rod fish too. Best bet is to pre-chum an area (I’ve used canned corn). Only time this is not a sure bet is when carp are heavily spawning -rolling, breaching, chasing the females around.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

I have used corn on the hook. A small box of rabbit food...rabbit pellets...brings them in and the show is on from there. I had to get used to slack line fishing when I first targeted these fish. They do drop a hook.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Every spinning reel thread needs a Green Penn photo