Shakespeare Style C Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike777
Big ORCA Fan

Shakespeare Style C Reel

Post by Mike777 »

Hello everyone,

I am new to ORCA and wanted to ask if anyone knows the history of the Shakespeare Style C reel, as well as, how many of these reels were made. The information I found in tackle books and online seemed limited. Also, trying to find out the current value of the reel.

Thanks
Last edited by Mike777 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Style C Reel

Post by Shellbelly »

Welcome! I'm sure many would like to see your reel in order to help you find some of the answers. The number, or lack of one, on the bottom of the foot will help get things started while you navigate the picture posting exercise. Prices on that model vary quite drastically and will always depend on the collector and specifics of the reel. Production run is probably known by someone here. I suspect you could be looking at 1910-ish, but again, the reel needs to be seen and will get looked at by many here. You can count on that.
Mike777
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Mike777 »

Hello,

The number on the reel foot is 794. I will take better photos.
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Check the back issues of the Reel News.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Just like any antique, condition means everything to the value of an item. The things of notice are the silver plating is missing over a large area of the reel. This doesn't affect the value a whole lot. But what does affect the value is that the reel is missing the handle knob and has a replaced handle screw. Check the two rim sliders to see if they actuate the reel's click and drag mechanisms. Them not working can also affect value. By the way, I like your two British multipliers in the background.
Mike777
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Mike777 »

Hi Ron,

Thank you for the info.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Here's the reel in the 1902 catalog.

Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

The screw driver mentioned in the catalog would be nice to find. Accessories help relieve some condition issues in certain situations.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

The screw driver is more obtainable than this reel in my opinion. We had one last year for sale here as I recall.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

I agree. These were probably included with many more models...like who doesn't have a reel tool now! I don't have one with a rosewood handle, though. (sniffle)
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

There are two styles, an older one that is larger and a newer one that is very common. The older one that would have been with the model C is not so common.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

They are in the wooden pencil box with the mercury dimes and wheat pennies. Top drawer on the left in the roll top desk.
Mike777
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Mike777 »

I talked last night with a collector who said he had read an article that stated there were only 1,500 of the Style C reels made. I can’t verify if this is accurate, but if so, how many are still in existence? 30%? 40? I am just guessing but, after 125 years there is a high likelihood there can’t be many around.