Simplicity Portland 12 Ore

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Simplicity Portland 12 Ore

Post by Stunt Fisher »

I am cleaning up a Simplicity Reel (Portland 12 Ore) and need a little information. I've taken the whole thing apart. I have the little spring inside the crank handle shaft, but am missing the steel ball. I have one of those being sent to the house - thank you Amazon.

I've searched for information on this website (and others) but can't find what I'm looking for. Given the apparent design of the crank handle, it looks like the handle can be pulled out so the reel can free spool. The ball and spring allow the handle to snap in and out of free spool position. I can't quite figure out what keeps the handle from pulling all the way out of the reel. There is also a pin on the crank handle shaft, but it appears that pin wouldn't keep the handle in the reel. The reel is interesting. Not a engineering marvel, but very different than any other reel I have and I'd sure like to make it work again.

Does anybody have any information on this reel? Do you have one that works and you can clue me in on the mechanics of the handle/shaft? Do you have a patent number? I'll look for a drawing at the patent office. Anything you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Dave
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Simplicity Portland 12 Ore

Post by Paul M »

The crank handle stays in place. Free spool is achieved by pulling out the knurled aluminum knob, out and away from the crank handle.
Last edited by Paul M on Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Thanks Paul, that makes more sense than my description. Am I correct in assuming that you pull the shaft out until it clicks for free spool and push it back in for winding?

Have you seen any documentation for this reel?

Thanks again. One hour and four minutes was pretty darn quick!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

On mine, there is no "click" when i pull out the free spool nut or when I push it back in; it is just held in place by light friction/gravity. I have to adjust the handle and nut with a wiggle to get it back into winding mode. The shaft is an unusual rectangular shape and moving in-out of free spool involves alignment with a hidden internal "key hole". The "clicker" switch on the back plate has to be rotated to disengage the spring loaded ball bearing that stops the reel from free spooling. I am not aware of a patent but you might try searching for info/patents by the manufacturer: Aluminum & Plastics Products Co - 2050 N Mississippi - Portland, Oregon. They are listed in our own Reel Makers research pages, here: https://www.orcaonline.org/reel-makers/

There was a Facebook post some time ago at this link showing another original box but you may need to be a member of that collectors Group to see the post https://www.facebook.com/groups/1376050 ... %2CO%2CP-R.

There is a picture of a Simplicity reel taken down to show the unusual shaft etc in NorthWest Fishing Reels (available for purchase in the ORCA online Store) but if you take yours apart then you already know what it looks like.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Thanks again Paul. I just joined the FB group and finally pulled myself out of that rabbit hole.

This is a bit of an obscure reel that isn't worth much, so I probably won't find much more on it. But I'll keep looking. If I do find something worth sharing I'll post it here.
Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Biggamereels1988 »

Was looking up information myself on this reel. Found a listing on eBay from a few years back that had this paperwork. - For the next guy that searches this...