Crown Fishing Tackle Works

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Crown Fishing Tackle Works

Post by Shellbelly »

I watched this reel for a few days while researching Crown here and elsewhere. After reading what I could find, I decided to add it to the collection. I don't believe it is particularly rare or unique, but the story of the Tyron succession of companies is interesting to me. I also liked the posts, which give the appearance of being turned with a little added flair. It has no model name or number, but 200 is stamped and underscored on the bottom of the foot.

In short, the Tyron family came to America in the late 1700's in tragedy. A fire on the boat destroyed all their property records and the Sr. Tyron passed before landing. The sons became apprentices and built a business in Philly that eventually rivaled Sears and Wards. Quite the American story in my opinion.

I've seen a few smaller Crown reels out there, but this is the first one in this size that caught my eye. I have yet to find detailed information about these reels so this one could date from the 20's to the 50's.

If anyone knows more, I'm ready to hear it.
Last edited by Shellbelly on Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Crown Fishing Tackle Works

Post by wrong99 »

Could you add a photo of the bottom of the foot?
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Photo added and post corrected to "200" instead of "250".
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Your reel was built by Winchester for exclusive sale through Edw. K. Tryon. Built from 1920-1930. There was never a company called Crown Fishing Tackle Works, just like there was never a reel company called Pennell Reel Co. These were brand names owned by Tryon, who sold a vast series of Crown and Pennell branded reels.
Mark
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Thank you! The web confounded me when I did my research and all I could find was the Tyron story from the Crown angle. There wasn't much more than a mention of tackle in what I read. I figured it was a trade reel. Having the Winchester angle helps and I appreciate that. It makes sense, though, because Tyron dealt in firearms from the beginning of their history and had government contracts in at least two 19th century conflicts.

It would be nice to find a "similar" Winchester branded reel to put next to this one.

AND the winner is Winchester 2647.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The late Joe Putro published a history of the Tryon company with correct spelling in Fishing Collectibles Magazine, vol. 7, no. 2, 1995. And there's this tome.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

It appears you may have read the same article I stumbled onto. It was informative and a little painful. Out of respect, I didn't provide a link.