What is the name of this thing?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

What is the name of this thing?

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Lord, and most all of the regular visitors here know I know diddly squat about conventional type reels, but I keep trying to learn a few things along the way, so, I'm not blushing :mrgreen: when I ask what in the heck is this thing called, some sort of add-on anti-reverse/brake mechanism? :?:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Re: What is the name of this thing?

Post by 40fordflathead »

It looks like a Blackburn drag. Page 63 of Steve Vernon’s book.
Bruce
Bruce Harlan
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Bruce seems to have a reference to back up his assertion that this is a Blackburn drag, so I'd go with that. However, it looks like there's a small exposed pawl on the gear at the center of the crank. If I hadn't seen Bruce's answer I would have suggested that this allows cranking of the spool, but if the crank handle was turned in reverse it wouldn't turn the spool. Sort of a backhanded method of anti-reverse.

One of the things I like most about collecting these old things is the mechanics of them. If anyone knows the name of this reel please let us know. I think I'll start looking for one.
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Tom,

PM Sent.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

This might help a little.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Gents, it is a Blackburn drag. That wee pawl locks the crank screw. Ironically, the reel lacks the anti-reverse gizmo that was supposed to be installed when the drag was added post-marketly. The original owner didn't have the sense to ask Dr. Elder to install it. Or maybe the reel is too small for all that equipment.

The drag was also the subject of an article by Bill Stuart in the FATC Newsletter, XII, no.4, 1999, and one in The Reel News, XIV, no. 6, 2004. The drag and its inventor are described on pg. 67 of the 1st edition (1985) and pg. 63 of the 2nd edition of my book.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thank you, Gentlemen, for the enlightenment, especially you, Mr. Vernon, for the visuals and explanation! I figured it was something like that. At least I know now that the last decade spent hanging out here wasn't all for naught. :D The example looks like a great candidate for Dr. Elder's tender loving hands. :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Must tighten via the wing-nut. I suppose the AR was simply left to the handle grips. That could get exciting. And yes, it sure could use the right TLC.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024