Ranger Casting Reel Mystery - Part Deux

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
DanNichols
Big ORCA Fan

Ranger Casting Reel Mystery - Part Deux

Post by DanNichols »

In a previous post, I explained that I'd disassembled a vintage Ranger Prize Winner “Gold Medal” #77 for cleaning and that, after reassembly, found I had left over a set of micro-thin washers with no clue as to where they go.

A forum member advised me that there was a modestly priced listing on eB*y of the same reel, so I picked it up. The idea was to carefully disassemble it to use as guide on my original. I did so, but my mystery deepens.

To begin with, the eB*y reel contains no washers at all. I carefully checked everything, None.

Also, in the eB*y reel, the main gear and worm-drive gears are all brass. In the original reel, the main gear is brass but the worm drive gears are some kind of semi-clear white plastic. If this was a modern reel, I'd say they looked like Teflon.

From what I read in Dr. Todd's post about the Ranger reel company, these should date from the late 1940(s) to early 1950(s). I wouldn't expect plastic internals in units from that time-period.

I suppose it's possible someone retrofitted it...but why bother?

Any ideas?
Last edited by DanNichols on Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Ranger Casting Reel Mystery - Part Deux

Post by wrong99 »

Likely nylon gears.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Possibly neoprene gears?
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I don't think they made neoprene rubber gears.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Definitely not from what waders, gaskets and such are made. There is a more rigid neoprene although probably mixed with other "miracles of plastics". That stuff has been around and played with by industries since the 30's. The gasket for my grandmothers pressure cooker was neoprene.
DanNichols
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DanNichols »

Here are some pictures to show what I'm talking about...

Original reel on the left, eB*y on the right)

eB*y reel gears (all brass)

Original reel (brass main gear, worm drive is white plastic)
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Nylon
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Yep. Intended to fail by some makers to prevent metal gear damage when bound. The one on the left looks pressed on. Can't tell if there's clip on the right one.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Reel makers and repair folks would often employ thin washers and shims to improve performance in their reels… very common in limited production reels. They might have been added to take play out of the spool or to make the levelwind better behaved. I don’t know the size of the washers so hard to predict where they might help, but you can likely judge what locations are most likely just from the size. At any rate, if the reel is running smoothly without them, you are probably safe in just sticking them in a drawer and enjoying the reel. If it isn’t working smoothly, that might offer hints about where those washers were used.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
DanNichols
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DanNichols »

john elder wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:49 pm Reel makers and repair folks would often employ thin washers and shims to improve performance in their reels… very common in limited production reels. They might have been added to take play out of the spool or to make the levelwind better behaved. I don’t know the size of the washers so hard to predict where they might help, but you can likely judge what locations are most likely just from the size. At any rate, if the reel is running smoothly without them, you are probably safe in just sticking them in a drawer and enjoying the reel. If it isn’t working smoothly, that might offer hints about where those washers were used.
Thank you John.
That’s the plan.