Late 40's to early 50's Japanese reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Late 40's to early 50's Japanese reels

Post by Shellbelly »

For a short period after WWII many Japanese products were labeled, "Made in Occupied Japan". Were any reels made in Japan during this period and labeled "...Occupied..."?
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Late 40's to early 50's Japanese reels

Post by wrong99 »

I've only seen Post-WWII Japanese bamboo rods marked as such. Can't remember seeing a reel. I don't think they were producing reels until the 50's, after the occupation had ended.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Thank you! I've heard of some boxed fly rods. I don't believe Japanese manufacturing was up to speed for certain products but I thought there might be a collector out there with a reel or two from that time. All I have seen marked from that time are ceramics that my folks were always on the hunt for.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Fascinating. My next article in the Reel News coming out has some info on post-war Japanese reel including details on the first Japanese reel patent.

-- Dr. Todd
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Indeed! You know what they say about great minds.... they forget where they put their glasses. I can't wait to read your article.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

The US occupied Japan from 1945-1952 following WW II. In an attempt to rebuild that country, goods were made for export to the West and were required to be marked “Made in Occupied Japan” or “Occupied Japan.” Toys were a big export, but apparently from this 2006 Reel Talk post, the “Orion Reel” was also marked as such. Unfortunately, the photos from that thread timed-out under our old board website.

viewtopic.php?t=3382
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

I was unable to find a photo of an example with the occupied mark. What I did come across were some remarkable bamboo rods and I got sidetracked by several articles covering the history of these beautiful pieces. The masters of that craft would have likely been disgusted with the canes I learned to use in the surf as a kid.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Speaking of Occupied Japan-marked bamboo rods, Tonkin (China) cane was the preferred material for fly rod builders until an embargo of Chinese goods by the US in 1950. By the time the embargo was lifted around 1971, makers had turned to Calcutta (India) cane and synthetic materials. Here are some interesting links:

http://www.tonkincane.com/history.html

Calcutta v. Tonkin cane discussions:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 64&t=33784

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=70898
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

All so interesting to learn about this. The advent of man made materials almost wiped out the Japanese makers. The market was over 200 years in the making with masters and apprentices dedicating their lives to an art. Learning this makes the work almost surreal to even look at. Another blow was the loss of native bamboo forests to housing development. These guys staked out secret stands of preferred canes and cut deals with land owners. It's a very captivating subject with remarkable dedication to the plant itself all the way to a finished work.

With some of these pieces exceeding 100K, I don't believe I'll be able to add one to my collection for "several weeks"!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

The great minds comment… really got me. Thanks for that. :)
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Thanks Paul! Somebody has to loosen this place up every now and then. life's too short to be practicing rigor mortis all the time.
arley
Advanced Board Poster

Post by arley »

About 30 years ago or more, probably more,in a pile of photos at my local flea market , I saw 3 8x10" glossy photos of a Japanese family making bamboo fly rods in their living room. Should have bought them but I am noted for not thinking ahead. Ha!
you can tune a piano,but you can't tuna fish.