A New Trade Reel, A Friend Long Gone, and a Philosophical Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

A New Trade Reel, A Friend Long Gone, and a Philosophical Question

Post by Teal »

We all buy reels for different reasons. Often it's to fill a spot in our collection. Occasionally it's about getting a reel we always wanted. Sometimes, however, we buy reels because they remind us of friends long since gone.

This was the case with this particular Shakespeare trade reel which I got today in the mail. It's marked "Abbey & Imbrie" and "Zeno" on it. I'm well aware of Zeno of Elea, author of Zeno's Paradox, a mind exploding philosophical conundrum, but I never knew there was a reel named after him.

There may be some newer members who don't remember Harvey Garrison, who had one of the best minds for reel collecting I ever knew and who was renowned for sharing information freely (and hilariously I might add). We corresponded a TON on Shakespeare Trade Reels. So when I saw the Zeno, I had to get it. I suspect it's a ca. 1930 model due to the circular logo (a few of you might remember I wrote an article a couple years ago about the Shakespeare-made Abbey & Imbrie Amawalk and this has a similar build). I'll try and pin down a catalog date in the near future.

Anyway, I know Harvey would have liked to hear about it, and probably knew about it (although he shared very late in life his list of known Shakeapeare trade reels and this was not on it). Hopefully it might make a few people on here remember Harvey, and maybe some new folks will see the name and connect it to ORCA, the Library, and the art/science/luck of reel collecting.

Harvey would have enjoyed a reel named after a guy who posited that when you cast out a lure, you have to reel it halfway back to the boat. Then halfway again. Then halfway again. But if infinity is real, you'll never get the lure back to the boat because you'll be infinitely dividing by two for the rest of time.

-- Dr. Todd

RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: A New Trade Reel, A Friend Long Gone, and a Philosophical Question

Post by RonG »

That's an interesting story and a reel I hadn't seen before. Thanks for telling us about Zeno. Yes, I remember Harvey. He was a collector friend to all.
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Nice reel and always great to remember Harvey. Thanks for sharing. Harvey and I were very close friends, and exchanged emails almost daily. Below is part of an email exchange we had in year 2005:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the funniest thing that happened to us was one time we were over in the Ten Thousand Islands and was anchored up in a pass fishing for snook. Some one drew our attention to an Osprey that had snatched a good size Sheepshead and was trying to gain altitude flying with the wind. He was flying straight toward the side of the boat about two feet off the water. We started watching him as he came closer. He didn't have enough speed to turn away and couldn't gain any height. The closer the came, the more worried he looked. SMACK!! Right into the side of the boat. He hit the water and was trying to get back airborne but didn't want to loose his dinner. He flopped around in the water as the current took him away from us. All three of us was laying on the bottom of the boat dieing laughing. He finally let the fish go then retreated to a tree limb and set up there and squawked at us for five minutes. I guess he figured we took his fish.
Harvey
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Thanks for the great memories of Harv, Dr. Todd.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

In the ninteen naughties and teens, those old Shakespeare NLWs had the best spool bushings at every price level, next only to Meek and Talbot.

Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

You got that right Ron. Shakespeare made a superior reel. LOVE those blue agates.

-- Dr. Todd
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Hi Doc,
That's a low-end Leader (casts Great), I'm sure it's just blue glass.

I also have a Perfect, which is a jewel, and even my oldest reel, a low-grade Alamo is quality - and a great find for my hometown.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

One of my friends "tuned up" a Liberty, which is a really cheap South Bend trade reel made by Shakespeare. It ran like a fine watch just as they said it would. Seriously, performed better than reels that cost $20 and it was a $1 reel at the time.

-- Dr. Todd