Ranger Gold Medal #77 drama - Part 3

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
DanNichols
Big ORCA Fan

Ranger Gold Medal #77 drama - Part 3

Post by DanNichols »

My adventures with a vintage Ranger Gold Medal #77 continue.
The handle knobs on my recent eB@y acquisition came off. It looks like the peens were corroded to the point where they couldn’t hold.

One of the knobs is clear but on the other, the peen is solidly stuck. I tried hot water, vinegar, penetrating oil, etc. but nothing worked.

Any suggestions on what (if anything) I can do to a working handle on this reel?
My repair skills are very limited, but I’m willing to try simple stuff.

I’m not opposed to using a non-original part, but the retangular mounting hole is very small. None of the handles on my other reels (Shakespeare, Pflueger, etc.) fit.

Here’s what I’ve got:

Sizes:

Any suggestions?

Dan
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Ranger Gold Medal #77 drama - Part 3

Post by john elder »

Dan, I may have one...will check on saturday when off babysitting duty. I am surprised white vinegar (1:1 overnight?) didn't work and hot water usually also loosens things up
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
DanNichols
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DanNichols »

Hi John
Thank you very much.
No, neither the vinegar nor the hot water would free the peen.

I appreciate you checking for me.

Cheers,

Dan
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I've had good luck with a vibrasonic tank and a vinegar/water combo. The shaking has worked to free the frozen handle knobs on several occasions.

I've also used a heated mixture of vinegar/water as well, not boiling but hot.

-- Dr. Todd
DanNichols
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DanNichols »

Thanks Dr Todd
Unfortunately I don’t have access to a vibrasonic tank, but it sounds logical that it might work. I’ve been limited to soaking, and scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Truthfully I’m concerned about damaging the bakelite knobs. They’re original and I would assume somewhat brittle with age. Now that they’ve broken off the handle, I’m wondering if it’s possible to reattach somehow.
In the meantime I’m trying to find a handle replacement to make the unit usable for an upcoming trip.

BTW, my interest in Ranger reels was sparked in large part by the article you wrote about the history of Ranger Prizewinner reels. Great article!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dan, here is a pile of handles that will require little, if any modification (filing), methinks. Some are in better shape than others. The one by itself is a nice one that had the same problem as yours, but some time in hot water, followed by working in some Hot Sauce oil got it working. Please PM or email your address and i’ll send them along. You can pick the one you want, then return the rest.

J

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
DanNichols
Big ORCA Fan

Post by DanNichols »

Hi John:

I received the reel handles. I found one that worked, and sending the rest back to you.
I tried to send you a PM (and email) confirming your address, but the message is sitting in the outbox since yesterday.

Anyway, I'm sending to the address (PO Box) you had on the return label. I hope that is correct.

Thank you again for the assist, I really appreciate it.

-Dan Nichols-
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, po box is where to send, Dan… i hope it was one ofcthe better handles!

For some reason, i’m not getting notification from the board when i have a PM… i need to start looking more often!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member