New ORCA Library Additions

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

New ORCA Library Additions

Post by David Lehmann »

FYI: Over the past few months, the ORCA Library has added a number of new items. All catalogs are scanned in high resolution, in OCR mode (i.e., your can "word search" the documents.) All ORCA members can access and download from the library, free of charge. The new additions include:
  • William Mills & Son, 1918 Catalog (128 pages and color plates)
    William Mills & Son, 1920 Catalog (127 pages and color plates)
    William Mills & Son, 1929 Catalog (156 pages and color plates)
    William Mills & Son, 1931 Trout and Fly Fishing Catalog (80 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1935 Catalog (144 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1939 Catalog (81 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1940 Catalog (80 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1953 Catalog (56 pages and color plates)
    William Mills & Son, 1954 Catalog (56 pages and color plates)
    William Mills & Son, 1955 Catalog (56 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1956 Catalog 60 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1957 Catalog (64 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1959 Catalog (61 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1960 Catalog (61 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1961 Catalog (62 pages)
    William Mills & Son, 1962 Catalog (61 pages)
    Arthur Walker & Son, Saltwater Fly Reel Catalog (late 1960s) (3 pages)
    Arthur Walker & Son, Trout Reel Catalog (1972) (2 pages)
    Otto Zwarg, 1948 Catalog (12 pages and additional info)
    Pflueger, 1973 Catalog (31 pages)
    Airex full color fishing reel ads from 1953, 1955, 1958, and 1959 Lionel Train catalogs.
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: New ORCA Library Additions

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I've always thought that it would be a great idea to put all of the ORCA catalogs on a CD or flash drive and sell it. I'm sure a lot of folks would buy one.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

kevinhaney1 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:59 am I've always thought that it would be a great idea to put all of the ORCA catalogs on a CD or flash drive and sell it. I'm sure a lot of folks would buy one.
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm pretty sure the information would end up just like music on YouTube, posted somewhere free for the taking.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm pretty sure the information would end up just like music on YouTube, posted somewhere free for the taking.
Well, that's the risk for anything posted on the internet, but I don't think the risk would be increased over what it already is.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

One reason our library is better than a CD is that it is continuously updated and improved. A CD or DVD is obsolete as soon as it is published. As we grow the library, we will improve the listing and checkout process such that there will be no real difference between a local copy access and the library. That is the vision over time.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It would be another reason to not join ORCA. As someone who does not collect lures, I joined the NFLCC just to have access to their library.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...the information would end up just like music on YouTube, posted somewhere free for the taking.
A CD or DVD is obsolete as soon as it is published.
It would be another reason to not join ORCA.
Ditto X 3

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Catalogs are copyrighted. I requested permission from Shakespeare Co. to use their older Pflueger catalogs (and to apologize for not having done so sooner). Don’t know how important extensive copying of older catalogs really is re: copyrights, but might be a subject for investigation.

Bad Bob
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

All Catalogs are not necessarily subject to full copyright protection according to www.copyright.gov. In any case, educational non-profits have some "fair usage" rights given certain applications such as our research library. We know from continuous correspondence ORCA receives from the fishing reel manufacturers that they refer people to our site and library for info on old reels for which they do not maintain schematics or info. They are acknowledging that we are providing a service in collecting old material and preserving it. If any manufacturer would contact us seeking to ask us to take down any info, we would certainly respect that. We are not profiting or abusing our fair usage, and are providing a historical service.
The provisions of copyright law dealing with duration are complex. Different standards apply depending on whether federal statutory copyright protection was secured before or on or after January 1, 1978, the date the current law—the Copyright Act of 1976—took effect. In addition, several amendments enacted since January 1, 1978, affect duration. This circular describes the changes to the law that affect duration and gives details about terms of protection for copy- rights secured and renewed on certain dates.
Copyright info is widely available for review. Here is a good summary. https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.pdf
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Agreed, permission to cite old catalog data may not (will not?) amount to infringement of copyright. Request for permission for citation and use for illustrations is, however, an act of courtesy and as such it always helps relationships. In writing it is important, however, to properly cite specific usuage and express thanks in the text.

Just a few off the cuff notes, nothing really momentous here, and I assume this sort of thing has been discussed before and, like a lot of info here, I missed it. The older I get the more I miss.

Cheers for ORCA and librarians everywhere!

Bad Bob
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The key to usage of a lot of earlier publications is whether or not their copyrights were renewed. If they were, depending upon the original copyright dates, dear old Congress may have extended protection for multiple lifetimes. But it's hard to imagine that corporations would have renewed their copyrights of 28-year-old catalogs. And many of the corporate copyright owners have ceased to exist.

I think everything copyrighted before 1926 is in the public domain now. (The document in the link says 1923, but I believe the public-domain date was 1926 when my first book came out in 1985.) My guess is that catalogs published before 1950 are probably safe to use, possibly even for commercial use, but preferably after they are checked for copyright renewal.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."