Pflueger Summit 1993L

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Shallman
Big ORCA Fan

Pflueger Summit 1993L

Post by Shallman »

Was wondering if someone could provide me with an idea of the value of this reel. Was purchased new by a gun stock maker and friend of my father's, Vern Kinsie. Vern never used it and gave it to me in 1978. I have never used it either. I converted to flyfishing years later but have held on to some of my old reels and lures. This reel has always been a favorite display piece on my fly tying table, which is a sewing table Vern made for his wife in 1941. Anway, any information will be appreciated.
Bill
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Summit 1993L

Post by Steve »

One way to get a rough idea of value is to search on eBay, where Summits of all ages and conditions are auctioned frequently. Search for "Pflueger Summit" here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch
You can watch current auctions and/or search for completed auctions. Then match your particular reel (model no., condition, cork arbor, etc.) with the auctioned items.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

What Steve said! Hope Vern saved the box and paperwork as well, since that adds to the value. They made these handsome reels for a number of years, with changes in the decorative etching, handle grasp style, and spare pawl port on the face plate, to name a few characteristics. Its just a great series of reels to collect! I had more than a dozen at one time, but let them go to others. Yours is a later model that won’t pay college tuition, but still a keeper!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Shallman
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shallman »

Thanks for the feedback all. I'll keep checking as time goes on. Wasn't expecting high value, just curious to see what more I could find out. Great to know a little more about the production history. Beautiful reel with great sentimental value. Just love old fishing gear. Looking in my dad's tackle box got me hooked on fishing when I was 4 or 5.
Thanks again,
Bill
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

If you have the original box it will have the date (month & year) it left the factory. A shot from the front will help date the reel.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Shallman
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Shallman »

What?! Today's sophisticated bass can be caught on wooden plugs?! Good thing bass can't read! Unfortunately, all I have is the beautiful reel and the leather bag. Will just keep enjoying looking at it as I tie flies.