Penn Greenies

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Penn Greenies

Post by flysupplies »

Why are 706s so pricy compared to 700s?

Thanks
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn Greenies

Post by Ron Mc »

in the long run, 1st model 700 will win just because they made so few
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Why are 706s so pricy compared to 700s?
The is a solid reason for the 706 Greenie being a higher priced reel. I feel it is simply because of the time span the models were in production and the appeal each model had to the customer.
The Penn 700 was in production from 1962 to 1968. In that time period, it was the only large Penn surf reel available. So you had a seven year time span the reel held a captive market, being the only large reel available. Since it is a milestone model, it had phenomenal sales and many were made.
The 706 fills a market void. It was in production in its green painted version from 1975 to 1977. That is three years of production compared to seven years of Model 700 production. That factor alone could easily make over double the 700's made than the 706's, but that is the most obvious factor. The Model 706 is a niche reel. The more common model 704 with a full bail was actually the better selling model. The model 706 had no bail at all. It was a manual pick up reel. That style appeals to less customers. So the combination of half the production time and the lower sales because the 706 is a specialty reel made for customers that wanted a manual pick up spinning reel caused a very different sales result in terms of quantity.

As collecting almost always goes, the worse the model sells, the less are made and the more rare it is in the collector after market down the road. Model 706 Spinfisher's are excellent reels but were made in much lower numbers. If you want to see really high prices, just check out the selling prices of the left hand version of the model 706, namely the model 707. They can get from $300 to $500 and sometime more, very consistently.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So tell me, folks, why do i still own this really nice 704 that i have offered up for 75 bucks??!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The right person hasn't seen it yet, I guess. :? Most of them Penn heads pay crazy prices for greenies & Zs and yours is priced really reasonably, JE!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

So tell me, folks, why do i still own this really nice 704 that i have offered up for 75 bucks??!
Go on eBay, the flow of Penn 704's is endless and the prices range from $25.00 to $150.00. Your price is fair but there are so many of them, a person can get a deal if he just looks a little bit. It is a very common surf reel.

Do the same search on eBay for the Penn 706, quantity wise, your selection is 10% of the selection of 704's. The 706 prices start at $80.00 and go up to $250.00.

Now expand your search to the Model 707, there are two available, one is asking $700, the other one is asking $1000.

They are all basically the same reel with feature differences. Supply and demand...
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Post by flysupplies »

Also the one pictured needs a bumper so the bail is sitting too far down. Common problem but might affect the value a little.

Bob
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

I bought my 716 and 712 before prices went crazy, and could be picky about condition.
Since I'm not really collecting them, I'm a fan of the market value increase, real or escalated by the times.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

flysupplies wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:34 am Also the one pictured needs a bumper so the bail is sitting too far down. Common problem but might affect the value a little.

Bob
Those bumpers are a cheap & easy fix. I pop out an appropriate diameter rubber cylinder with my leather punch, dig out the old material and glue in my new fabricated piece. Now we're good to go for another 20 years, depending the density of the rubber I use. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Post by flysupplies »

Thanks for the tip. I have a punch set. Now just need the rubber. Any tips on a source? Please don't say the Pharmacy!

Bob