Airex Rod

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
CamarilloScott
Big ORCA Fan

Airex Rod

Post by CamarilloScott »

I came across this rod the other day, it intrigued me, so picked it up. Didn’t know anything about Airex, but did some research and found out about Lionel & spin reels & rods. This rod is 6’2” 1-piece with garrison-style reel seat. Does anyone have any info on this particular rod? Year made, Are wraps/guides original, blank material, etc.? Thanks!
CamarilloScott
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Airex Rod

Post by CamarilloScott »

Not sure if photos uploaded. Hopefully they are here…

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

A good source of info on your fiberglass spinning rod could be found at https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

(sorry for the kitchen-table photo v. copystand)

Ballpark date on that rod is mid-50s. Very good chance they bought the brown-glass blank from Conolon, as most did in the early 50s.
Your rod appears to be very high grade.

The Mastereel, along with Spinster and curiosity Vic made the '51 Ward's catalog, but no Airex rods, and honestly, your rod looks too high-grade to be in the Ward's catalog.

Here's a 4-1/2' Airex solid glass rod my older daughter was fond of for creek fishing.
Reel is 1937 Luxor.
While Airex had a license to build this reel postwar (Bache Brown Mastereel), the French-made reels are superior, and were half the cost of the US-made reel.

post-'54 flip-bail Luxor A on H-I Star glass, c. 1960
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

A quick look in the Fishing Tackle Digest’s shows only Airex bamboos in 1949, and the first fiberglass Airex rods show up in the 3rd Edition of 1952 in two actions, both 6-1/2 feet and made from Conolon blanks with ferrules. Durod 6’s were solid metal rods.
Some interesting spinning reels that I didn’t know about in that 3rd edition:
Bradco (H&I)
Fix
Good-all
Rado
Swiss Whiz
Ru-Lac and Ru-Sport
Telecast by Fihe
Monti-Super
and the Pelican 100A designed by Fiat and imported by Orvis. Identical to the later Orvis 100A.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

The knurling on the handle suggests that maybe the handle detaches from the rod?
They made a spin rod that reversed to make a casting rod.
CamarilloScott
Big ORCA Fan

Post by CamarilloScott »

Thanks for the info. I’ve found images of the two Airex rods posted above, but none of the size/style of mine. My blank appears to be consistent with conlon color/grain. The guides resemble a casting rod, not spinning. Maybe considered a fly rod?

I don’t believe the handle detaches from the rod. I gave it a little twist with no give, but don’t want to put too much pressure and ruin anything.

The rod has good action. Not as whippy as ultra light harnell 5’8” spinning rod I have, but close.

I bought it to either fish or to sell to someone that collects these rods. My only concern is accidentally ruining the rod by fishing it. Is there a market for this rod or am I better off taking it to the lakes? 🎣
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

You basically have a Tennessee grip there, sliding bands over cork.

Based on the guides, they did make casting rods that way for a century.

If you would ruin the rod by fishing it, it was pre-ruined, and the only market would be for the hardware.

If you're fishing for a buyer, might get my attention on the Harnell, but collectors are usually searching for pristine, no more than lightly used, with hang-tag, etc.
CamarilloScott
Big ORCA Fan

Post by CamarilloScott »

Thanks for the general info. Is there any specific info on this particular rod made by Airex (catalog, publication, etc)?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

CamarilloScott wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:36 pm Thanks for the general info. Is there any specific info on this particular rod made by Airex (catalog, publication, etc)?
If anyone would know it would probably be Bob Halver.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027