TED WILLIAMS 400 vs ZANGI 2000 (first version) ...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

TED WILLIAMS 400 vs ZANGI 2000 (first version) ...

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

Here are two rare spinning reels made in Italy, in the second half of the 1950s, by the company ZANGI based in Turin.
In comparison, the first version of a "Ted Williams 400" and a "Zangi 2000" complete with the original boxes.

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: TED WILLIAMS 400 vs ZANGI 2000 (first version) ...

Post by Ron Mc »

those are trick - thanks for sharing nice photos
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Love the comparison!

I don't believe that is the earliest Ted Williams box. I was told by a former partner in Southern Tackle (which partnered with Ted) the reel in the bottom left box was the earliest.

It predated the maroon box (right).

-- Dr. Todd
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Teal wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:54 pm Love the comparison!

I don't believe that is the earliest Ted Williams box. I was told by a former partner in Southern Tackle (which partnered with Ted) the reel in the bottom left box was the earliest.

-- Dr. Todd
Dr. Todd,
I guess you are right, in fact the rare box you indicated is practically the same as the first model "ZANGI 2000".
It should be noted that this very first box (with glued label) remains essentially the same even for the model that has the writings printed directly on the lid.
The reels also remain unchanged for both boxes of the first versions.
The boxes for subsequent production are less valuable both for the manufacturing method and for the material used.
If possible I kindly ask you if you can provide me with better photos of this very first version to update my archive of the ZANGI production.
regards
Sergio
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Sergio,

Of course, I'll post pics later ... Thanks for all you do for us on the research and writing side!

-- Dr. Todd
Chinook1
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chinook1 »

Sergio-

Wow... I just had a discussion with a friend of mine on this very reel. He said that Daiwa did the first Ted Williams..and I disagreed and said that Zangi did it. Thank you very much. As is ALWAYS the case your research is impeccable and because it is a spinning reel...Ben would be honored.

Steve
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Steve,
perhaps I have not exposed my post in a particularly clear way,
I hope that anyone who reads my posts can forgive the mistakes I make when writing in "English"!
As "first version" I was referring to the "T.W. 400" model and in any case my reasoning is aimed exclusively at the spinning reels made in Italy.
Certainly other reels produced in other countries have also been marketed under the Ted Williams brand, I believe even before the "made in Italy" models.
Unfortunately I cannot find / purchase the very first T.W. catalogs prior to the acquisition of this brand by "SEARS" (if I'm not mistaken in 1962).
My research is focused on several topics and I hope to be able to document as soon as possible all the production linked to the T.W. and SEARS brands (models produced in Italy) as I was able to proceed recently for the prestigious ORVIS brand.
I add a little curiosity, just last night I noticed that in a SEARS catalog of 1957 "spring / summer", among the various reels of all kinds there was also an "ORIVS 100" at the discounted price of $ 18.77 (instead of $ 29.50 as reported in the ORVIS catalog of the same year)!
Sergio
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Teal wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:39 pm Sergio,

Of course, I'll post pics later ... Thanks for all you do for us on the research and writing side!

-- Dr. Todd
Dr. Todd
thanks for your valuable collaboration.
Sergio
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

As promised here is some photos of what I believe is the first TWI box with paperwork.

-- Dr. Todd