Zebco Spinner Model 33 Questions

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
trapple54
Big ORCA Fan

Zebco Spinner Model 33 Questions

Post by trapple54 »

I have a Zebco Spinner Model 33 that has an all chrome finish and has brass gears. I believe it was made before 1957 but wanting to confirm. Also I have not seen any other reels with an all chrome finish so wanted to know if this is rare or if maybe the reel was modified along the way. I have added photos below. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Zebco Spinner Model 33 Questions

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Your reel was most likely made in either 1954, '55 or '56. It originally had black front and rear covers and a chrome thumb button. There was a problem with the black covers coming loose so Zebco would replace them for free. That is why you have a mostly chrome colored reel. It appears someone replaced the chrome thumb button, though. I have an all chrome/stainless one that my dad gave me. I remember him having the black covers replaced by Zebco because they kept coming loose and falling off. In 1957 Zebco switched the colors to chrome covers and black body (band). There was a problem with the chrome flaking off the covers so in '58/'59 they switched to stainless steel front and rear covers.

Brass gears are correct for that circa.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
bcstones
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Zebco Spinner Model 33 Questions

Post by bcstones »

There is a facebook group "That-Zebco-Guy" started by Dick Braun, who is also a member of ORCA....I'd say he's the go-to guy here - put his name in the search box here on this site...