Penn Jigmaster 501m

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Penn Jigmaster 501m

Post by flysupplies »

Do some of these have a right sideplate (dark maroon) stamped 501 but a left (clicker side) sideplate stamped 500? Thanks
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn Jigmaster 501m

Post by john elder »

I suspect that since the 501 was just the narrow version of the 500, the back plates all said 500 and only the front plate was stamped 501. There is an extensive thread on the alan tani site that you might find interesting:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26228.0
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Post by flysupplies »

I have a maroon 500 with blank tailplate. Wonder if 501 might have that variation too.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Those parts are all interchangeable, so you often see about any combination of plates from 500 and 501, along with Newell conversion components. I have had many “501s” that had a 500 face plate. With the later black side plates, i believe all you would see on the back plate is “Penn”, but a Penn jock would be able to speak to that better than me.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
flysupplies
Advanced Board Poster

Post by flysupplies »

Someone posted a pic on the Tani site of a maroon 501 with blank tailplate.
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

Anything is possible with Penn...and repair shops. Jigmaster is very popular and used extensively. I've noticed so many anomalies that I'm hesitant to start collecting them. I just don't know where to start.