The things we buy or should have bought

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

The things we buy or should have bought

Post by Mike N »

Just back from the FATC Show and thought an ongoing thread about what we’ve each added to our tackle collections recently (big or small) would be interesting. We are a “collectors” club, after all.

I got this neat WWII London split shot tin for $20:

And this beat up JVH hard rubber fly reel that will keep me busy at my workbench. I gave $40 for what Dean unceremoniously called a “parts reel.”

And I added these two jewel-like Arbogast sunfish at a discount because I bought a pair:

As for what I didn’t buy but should have, these EVH metal baits would have paired nice with an EVH reel:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: The things we buy or should have bought

Post by RonG »

Here's my two finds at the FATC Crystal River Show. It was great to see Mike and the other ORCA members at the show. The reel is a 1/0 model 621 in a glass domed display and the other is a 1909 Edward Tryon Catalog. The next FATC Show will be in Daytona Beach, FL in February, 2022. Over 200 tables already sold. The last show sold 319 tables. ORCA has its own section within the display area.

joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

1/0 EVH 621 is really cool. Congratulations Ron.

By chance, was Ed Zorzi there?
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Ok, not reels but regrets just the same. I was stationed at Norfolk, VA in the Navy in 1976 and I saw a beautiful high condition red & white 1965 Corvette convertible for sale. The owner was asking $2700, and I thought “some day I’ll afford a car like that.” Today it would be around $50,000.
Later, around 1981 after the Navy I was at a gun show, and laying on the table was a lovely high condition Winchester Model 21 side by side in 20 gauge and marked Skeet. The price was $750, and I thought “some day I’ll afford a gun like that.” Today it would be around $7500.
I get those same thoughts when I browse the Lang’s catalog. “Some day I’ll afford such and such reel.”
Shellbelly
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Shellbelly »

I should have bought back my '65 Impala Super Sport. It was towed and impounded after I sold it. Harris County contacted me because they couldn't reach the new owner. I didn't have 200 bucks to spare. Should've bought a A.H. Fox 16 double w/a spare set of 28" Full/Full barrels for 850. I Don't want to know what that's worth now or the brass 8 bore live rounds I passed on. lastly, there's a '41 2nd gen Penn 9/0 in somebody else's house now because I was ignorant....not broke!

C'est la vie.