The “Big 3” events in reel collecting (one is today)

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

The “Big 3” events in reel collecting (one is today)

Post by Mike N »

1. ORCA National
2. FATC Daytona
3. Lang’s Auction….which happens to be today.

Follow live starting at 10am EST at this link….

https://live.langsauction.com/auctions/ ... -1131-2181
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: The “Big 3” events in reel collecting (one is today)

Post by Mike N »

Here are a few early whales that sold…ADD 21% BUYERS PREMIUM TO EACH…WOW

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Except for 1, those were the reels we were ooogling. All I can say is- the stock market must be up!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

BOOM! The 1-1/2” wide spool and the 1-3/4” wide spool both sold for $19,000 before the 21% premium.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

Plenty of money around for exceptional items.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

If you can combine the words "fun" and "bloodbath" into the same sentence, that would describe yesterday's Lang's reel sales. I sat riveted at my computer watching some of the top items sell. There were certainly some bargains, as there are always are in a sale of this magnitude, but for the most part if you wanted a rare item in nice condition, you had to step up - in some cases, WAY up. Just an unbelievable selection. I also liked the way that Lang's split the reels into two groupings at the beginning and end of the day, instead of going through all the reels at the beginning - everybody got to take a breath and reassess their finances before the heaviest items hit.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Bill Muth wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:54 am I also liked the way that Lang's split the reels into two groupings at the beginning and end of the day, instead of going through all the reels at the beginning - everybody got to take a breath and reassess their finances before the heaviest items hit.
...and it gave me time to do my grocery shopping for the week, take care of the laundry, rake the leaves, cut the lawn, cook dinners for the week and have lunch.

It seems marbleized reels reign supreme !

6 reels. $87,000.00 hammer price. $105,270.00 with buyers premium.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I stepped up for all six, just missing them with my $500 bids. Maybe next time. Did manage to land about 15 reels.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I showed this thread to my wife and she just about fainted. :shock: She shook her head and said, with authority, "don't get any ideas!" :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So, Tommy… what address are you using to get your reels? :D

What i found nice was that virtually every collecting nook was strong. There is, indeed, a seat for every hiney!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

john elder wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:25 pm
What i found nice was that virtually every collecting nook was strong. There is, indeed, a seat for every hiney!

J
Yep. I couldn’t come close to getting a McHarg metal spoon at these prices, and my $400 bid ($482 with premium) just now for a Charmer Minnow wasn’t even close. Geez…
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

I was able to find a good bargain on a reel I’ve wanted for a long time. The Fenwick World Class 2 fly reel with case that routinely sells on ebay and from dealers at $300+ I was able to get for half that.
It was made for a very short time in the mid-1980’s by Leon Jones in California and then Fenwick moved production to Germany, Korea, and China to keep prices down. A very high quality, short production fly reel made in USA.
Maybe the Philbrook & Paine of the future, right?
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Here’s the Lang’s discussion on Classic Fly Rod Forum:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 4&t=140287
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Interesting comments. I do agree with the larger group that prices were generally strong for all areas of lures, rods, reels, and ephemera. The top stuff was very strong. The entry level stuff is still there at reasonable prices. There were a few bargains if you paid close attention, where reels went under any average pricing. You do have to be careful if you just wanted one item at a low cost, because of the shipping pricing. Suppose you bid on a $100 reel, figuring you got this at 50% under the average price. When you add the premium plus the $15 minimum shipping, you add another 36% to the cost. So you got something at 14% under the average, not the 50%. But still a reasonable proposition. I generally figure on 30% as what you will pay over the bid price, but that goes down the more you buy.

I managed to pick up the BF Meek number 8 Saltwater reel, which was reasonable due to the condition. I will have to do some work on it, maybe collaborating with Dr. Elder if he is willing.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle