Penn Spinning Reel model chronology

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

Penn Spinning Reel model chronology

Post by busterboy »

I have recently started to add Penn Spinfishers to my collection of mid-20th century reels. I am trying to figure out the different design changes over time and don't seem to be able to ask Google the right question to get the answer I am looking for. I know that the Spinfisher line started with the "greenies". I assume that they were made into the early 70s. Based on what I know and rememberr from that time period, I believe the Z series would be next followed by the SS reels. My assumption is that SS is an abreviation for skirted spool. If anyone can shed some light on this subject or point me to the appropriate earlier discussions of this topic, I would be extremelt grateful.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this subject,

Stan "Buster" Cowton
Buster Cowton :usa
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn Spinning Reel model chronology

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You have the order correct but the greenies started with the 700 in '61 according to their "History" segment. The other greenie models followed throughout the mid '60s. Next came the Z, then the 0ss. The 00ss series has graphite body parts.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
busterboy
Frequent Board Poster

Post by busterboy »

Thanks for the response. I am curious since the 710 Z I just acquired had the date Dec. 14, 1992 stamped on the inside of the box it came in. Included in the box is a Penn wrench, a tube of Penn reel lube and Penn reels Z series manual.

Thanks again, Buster
Buster Cowton :usa
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Buster, when I bought a 4400SS in early '90s, could have still purchased a 740Z.

The smaller green Spinfisher sizes made their appearance in the early 70s, and googlebooks search shows a strong ad campaign in 1974.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The 720 & 722Zs were discontinued around 1997. Most of the other Z models were discontinued in 2001. The 0ss and 00ss series' were available while the Z series was still being sold. The 00ss replaced the 0ss in 1992. The ssg & ssm replaced the 00ss in '05/'06.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

History of the Spinfisher Chronology is a complicated flow. I hope to have my Volume II Penn book released soon. That will have the flow of all the models up to 1983. As for now, The first one is the Model 700, released unofficially in 1962 and then in the 1963 catalog. From that point the Spinfishers stayed in their Greenie colors until 1978 when the "Z" models were phased in, coincidently coinciding with the introduction of the SS Skirted Spool models in 1977 & 78. When the SS model evolved from the three digit models (750SS etc.) to the four digit models (7500SS etc.), the smaller models were Graphite bodied but the larger models stayed with aluminum bodies.

First Spinfisher was the 700. It was released in special packaging in 1962. It is a highly sought after package by spinning reel collectors and very pricey. The first model 700 had differences when compared to other Model 700's. The odd box was very short lived and more of a shop display piece than a functional box.

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Smitfla
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Smitfla »

Hi Mike,
We've talked before on this board.
I'm an avid collector of Penn Greenies and wanted to see if your Volume 2 Penn Book will be coming out soon?
Thank you for all the great Penn info you provide on this board! Also a big thanks to Tommy for any and all info on spinning reels! You've both been very helpful in identifying reels and dates for me!
Chris - NE Florida - ORCA - FATC
Salt Water Spinning Reels and Associated Tackle
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I cannot say say when my Volume II will be released. it is submitted to the publisher, and he is in control of the release. Soon, I hope.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Smitfla
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Smitfla »

Sounds good Mike...yes...hopefully soon!
Chris - NE Florida - ORCA - FATC
Salt Water Spinning Reels and Associated Tackle