Mitchell 306 help

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
$$$$robert
Frequent Board Poster

Mitchell 306 help

Post by $$$$robert »

I have a really nice 306 I would like to use except when I move the anti-reverse lever over it still will go backwards. I have taken it apart and the back of the main gear that connects to the reel handle looks good, so does the piece that fits into the gear to keep it going backwards. Maybe I am missing something, I am thinking that if I change the gear and the piece with the spring that connects to the inside or the reel that is connected to the selecter switch it should work as designed. Does anyone have these parts. I am thinking Dick Janic.
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Mitchell 306 help

Post by piscesman »

Try the Mitchell Reel Museum. Plenty of help there.
KIm
I collect Mitchell reels & Garcia products. Always looking for more.....
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

A photo of your innards with just the A/R dog & spring would help to diagnose the problem.

It should look like this:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Robert, i assume you have thoroughly cleaned all the components and put them back with light oiling? I have found many Mitchells with a similar issue and the culprit was very heave grease that wouldn’t allow the spring to do what springs do! I think it was often done to cut down on the “coffee grinder” sound they sometimes shared
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
don309
Big ORCA Fan

Post by don309 »

Tommy, shouldn't the A/R spring be flipped over, flat side on the housing?
Retired so I'm out fishing or building a rodI :fished
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

don309 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:46 am Tommy, shouldn't the A/R spring be flipped over, flat side on the housing?
Nope, it is correct in the photo. You can't see it very well there unless you enlarge the pic, but there's a block cast into the body that the end (the short bent portion of the spring) makes contact with and rests against to provide tension.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027