Mitchell 400 series handle

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Phil M.
Big ORCA Fan

Mitchell 400 series handle

Post by Phil M. »

The 400 series handles had a small "High Speed" sticker affixed to them. At some point they substituted an "S" on that sticker. Does anyone know which specific model(s) that "S" type handle belongs on. I know the S stands for SPEED.
Kevin McJunkin
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Mitchell 400 series handle

Post by Kevin McJunkin »

I've seen a handle sticker that looks more like a fish to me than an "S" on a Garcia Mitchell 300C reel. The 300 C is not a high speed reel. It has roller bearings in the handle and rotor so I suppose it could be a "smooth" reel, although I think the symbol is a Garcia logo. Maybe a 300C handle got substituted for a 400 series high speed handle?
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by piscesman »

I checked in Dennis Roberts Value Guide and the handles in there go from High Speed to round circles imprinted on the handle shaft. It's very likely that someone replaced original handle with the swirled pattern logo. After all the handles are interchangeable through out the years.
Kim
I collect Mitchell reels & Garcia products. Always looking for more.....
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

If you are talking about this sticker it's actually a two toned fish.

It has nothing to do with high speed that I am aware of. It was a standard decal on the 204 & 206 models in the early '70s. I have a 204 my dad bought new with that decal on the original, and 2 extra drag knobs.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027