Crack Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Birdsnester
Big ORCA Fan

Crack Question

Post by Birdsnester »

Hi guys, I just picked up this giant Crack reel. It’s massive something like 29 oz. It’s got the drilled spool and a pancake handle grip. There is no model number in the handle side like all other Crack and Luxor reels have seen. So, what is it and is the pancake original?

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Crack Question

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The Mauborgne family & Pezon & Michel, i.e., Luxor, parted ways in 1967. The Mauborgne family &, manufacturer, LLM Company started a new company shortly thereafter called, Crack, using the remaining inventory of Luxor parts.

Your reel is an early Crack 300, basically the same as the previous Luxor Saumon Mer bent leg 3rd version. The second version Crack 300, also 1968, did not have Bernouville-Eure in raised letters on the side, therefor identifying yours as the earlier version. Your handle knob is not original but the crank handle is original. The knob is an add-on/substitute. They originally came with a black torpedo knob.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Birdsnester
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Crack Question

Post by Birdsnester »

Thanks Tommy,

This this is so big, I don’t think I will end up using it.

I appreciate your detailed response. It seems really weird that they would not put a model number on it.