Penn 49 Safe for Mono or What the Heck?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
HillbillyKen
Big ORCA Fan

Penn 49 Safe for Mono or What the Heck?

Post by HillbillyKen »

So I just received a beautiful Super Mariner in as new condition, spins like greased lightning, except it's spooled completely full of what looks to be about 40lb new green mono. Researching other places online just leads to confusion, don't use mono, unspool mono after fishing, use mono as a backer, use mono then vintage braid then mono top shot. Can I just stick with all mono, or do I need old school braided? I don't want to blow the spool out due to mono compression. Set me straight, O ye Bards of the Ancient Spools.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Penn 49 Safe for Mono or What the Heck?

Post by kyreels »

In my opinion, those reels are best suited for mono. I don't understand the other advice.
The problem with modern braided nylon now is that it is getting harder to find in the right size for the right test. It seems to be produced only for fly reel backing or much larger applications. The modern braided line can be used, but it is usually too thin for my taste, and still has all the problems with rigging I don't prefer. But I know opinions vary, and expect that my advice will be trumped here.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

They’re not designed for mono. They’re designed for monel wire, lead core, and maybe dacron.
Safe for mono? Hard to say.
-Chris R.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

They made several types of spools for these reels and i’m sure some will be better for mono than others. I would think the red plastic spool would be the worst to use with mono.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Bud Chaddock
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bud Chaddock »

I have watched many a plastic spool blow up or melt down on bigger fish on mono. That why in the 70`s Carl Newell's Aluminum spools were a god send. But what do I know? Watched it for over 20 years on party boats in my youth working on them. The Party boats that is. But then again, they were made for casting ability for casting live bait with no weight. Dacron destroyed them also but at the time we had no choice. Heavy metal spool that casted 10 ft versus maybe a 15 to 20 yrd cast to wary fish. Bluefin mostly in the day. And yellow tail that were boat shy. Just my humble opinion. They were used in the Bay area with metal spools to wire line Halibut while trolling on sand bars and mud slope bottoms. Also, some guys used them for Rock cod jigging with an aluminum a chrome over brass spools up to 400ft of water with Dacron and a 8 ounces to 16 ounce jig like a Diamond jig.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Using the Penn design specs as your guide, the tall reels were designed for wire, lead core, nylon or Dacron. Before the nylon Dacron suggestions, the choices from Penn were wire or linen. Penn does not suggest the use of mono with the Model 49. I would think with any of the metal spools, mono would be fine. Plastic spools are susceptible to compression forces and those are the kind of forces that mono can put on a spool. With so many Penn suggested line choices, I think I would to avoid mono for the plastic spool models.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food