19th century fly reel ID

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

19th century fly reel ID

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything specific about the below reel? It looks like an early Messielbach, and the only markings are the 1886 and 89 patent dates and "Pat. Appld For? It has an interesting click gear and pin on the front of the reel.

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: 19th century fly reel ID

Post by RonG »

Dr. Schulz has the answer.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything specific about the below reel?
Kevin, I'm not sure what specifics you're looking for. It's a Meisselbach "Expert" reel. The first patent (336,657) described the click and the spool construction. The spool was used first for the Meisselbach "Amateur" reels. The second (352,926) described a thumb brake that is absent from the reel, but which was used commonly on Amateur reels. On Feb. 5, 1889, the Meisselbachs patented (397,198) the drum frame that the Expert uses. What additional patent they pretended to claim is unknown, but they just wanted to cover all possible bases.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Dr. Schulz has the answer.
I'm afraid that reference eludes me...
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Kevin
The reel is a Meisselbach Expert No. 17 with a front plate click. It has the three patents that Steve mentioned. The reel was in production from 1888 to 1895. This reel on the top bar says, "Patd. Pending." This probably means the reel is early, probably about 1888 - 1889. The cylinder knob indicates that also. Check my new Meisselbach book for a picture of the reel and additional information on Meisselbach Expert reels.

Roger Schulz
kevinhaney1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Thanks a lot! So this was the first version of the No. 17? Also, mine says "PAT APL'D FOR". Is that significant?
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

That what make me think it was in the 1888-1889 period. The patent was applied for but had not been received.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The patent was applied for but had not been received.
IMHO, the stamping on the frame was added before the '89 patent was granted, or, more likely, it was just a ploy that many manufacturers used to scare off imitators. If you read those 3 dated patents, you'll probably agree that the reel has no additional features that might be considered patentable. It' also conceivable, less likely, that the reel uses a frame stamped before the '89 patent was granted and a spool made just after.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."